Impact on Trafford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Impact on Trafford

Post by ToadMum »

enema wrote:HomeBargains do pocket tissues with a £50 note print. Just saying.
:lol:

Installation art, perhaps? Garden Pea should keep that photo, it might be valuable one day.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Mandy21 wrote:"He is a bright lad, brighter than some you might come across in some indies or parts of Hale"

What's that supposed to mean?
An observation that with the right resources at home and school, kids with very average ability do very very well Vs some very able kids with low resources both at school and home not doing so well. I suppose the deeper point is that kids are getting streamed for failure this young.

BTW pretty sure the £50 notes were real, the fake thing was the first question he was asked when they all hooked up for an 8 way video conf on IOS.

The less deeper point was that I refused to allow anything in the way of phone or social networking gadgets in the house before 11+exams. Since I relented at Xmas as this was promised for working hard at the 11+ I think I have understood two things

1) 10 year olds DO NOT need phones and social networking
2) The seems to be a link between failure to realise potential and kids wasting their lives away on these things.

You can't be a techno luddite, but I am very glad that I kept phones out the way until the 11+ was over.
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

wilmslowmum wrote:Dont see why it would impact on Trafford. The start of a good education begins at home, sadly not all parents feel thay way, in more deprived areas there are parents who see education as the way forward but there are probably many that dont really care impacting on the overall performance of the schools in a particular area. The schools are the scapegoat and the goverment should look at the bigger picture. There are some amazing teachers working in inner city schools but the finger always gets pointed at them, it must be quite sole destroying for them when they read such articles.
Soul not sole!!!! It was late
ManYou

Post by ManYou »

Call me a sceptic.

Sounds like they are planting the seed that will be "watered" over the years and be an excuse to keep the money down South :twisted:
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Last edited by Mandy21 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Mandy21 wrote:I think you're just being controversial for the sake of it Petitpois. Why single out "indies and parts of Hale"? Really?! You sound bitter.
Not really Mandy. I have lots to be cheerful about. I have a place for my DD at one of the best Independent schools in the country and my DD is guaranteed a place at one the countries top state grammars next week. Of all the variables involved Trafford is a very broad sense figures highly in that outcome (or at least one or two individuals in Trafford do), and despite attending school in one of the worst LEA's in the country.

Although I know luck has played a hand, there are things you CAN control and things you cannot. I think I am being positive by suggesting that if you focus on the things you can control, you can still get a really good outcome, regardless of the barriers or the situation you find yourself in. I find people are either very passionate about the 11+ or they are really not interested. Great luck for the average kid in Hale, who gets to achieve lots because of great support. Even better for the guy in Cheetam Hill, who achieves the same outcome, but has a much greater distance to travel

Only bitter in me is usually boddingtons :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35641061" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Petitpois on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

Mandy just ignore my posts, I suspect that you will feel much better, in the round, if you do.
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

For anyone else I think there is a really positive message, that says you can compete with the better off, just have a clear game plan.
Last edited by Petitpois on Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now