Difficulty of getting into AGSB vs MGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
saida81

Difficulty of getting into AGSB vs MGS

Post by saida81 »

Hi everyone,
I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience putting their son through the AGSB and MGS exam and whether they passed for both or just one? I've heard that it is harder to get into AGSB because of the numbers applying and that most people that pass for AGSB pass for MGS but not vice versa?
Secondly is it easier to get into MGS at year 6 than year 7 as they don't sit a proper exam in year 6 or is the selection process just as vigorous?
Basically I have a son in year 4, I had always sort of dismissed AGBS as I thought it is so hard to get into. He did an assessment day for MGS last year and got offered a place which we turned down as it was more of out interest. My original plan was to apply for a place at MGS for year 6 as I heard it was easier to get in then but now I am thinking do I hold out for year 7 and try AGSB too?
enigma

Re: Difficulty of getting into AGSB vs MGS

Post by enigma »

I have a DS who got offers from both AGSB (ooc) and MGS (with bursary). I exactly knew the journey of my son as we were on DIY and I served as his tutor througout.
If you are able to prepare your DS for at least 6 months revising GL/CEM papers for AGSB and you're in-catchment, he has a big chance of passing AGSB. As for MGS, not much things to revise really as their assessment puts all boys in equal footing hence a real smart boy will stands out. The year 7 exam for MGS is quite advanced but unlike AGSB, there isn't any specific type of test to revise, all exams are different every year in both contents and patterns. if you however want to do some revisions, it would be general. You can download past MGS test papers from their website to get an idea about the nature of their exams. After the AGSB exam, the only thing my DS revised for MGS was the simultaneous equation as they've not learned it in the primary, and that was it. The MGS assessment teams are spot on in assessing a child if he is a good fit at MGS' fast and advanced learning environment. So if your DS is truly clever, he can pass MGS without doing any revision but he will more likely fail AGSB without revising or familiarizing the GL/CEM papers. Now if a boy is able to pass AGSB, he has a very good chance of passing MGS as well whilst a boy who is able to pass MGS is not guaranteed to pass AGSB unless he spent good amount of revision to GL/CEM papers. This is probably the reason why some clever boys passed MGS but failed AGSB.

There are many parents who think that getting their boys to MGS junior school is a smarter way of getting them to senior school. I have another DS at the junior school and I can tell you that getting them to junior school is never a walk in the park. To pass the junior school assessment, a boy must be well advanced in reading, writing, maths and logical analysis. He should already be reading books the likes of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc. and should be capable of writing 2 or more pages of essay with deep vocabularies and punctuation. He must be good at arithmetic and must have a quick grasp of puzzles and series. Assessment team is tasked to watch if the boy is a quick learner, organized, and anything that convinced them to believe that the boy will thrive in an advanced, fast learning, and busy environment of MGS. Since your DS already passed the MGS junior school assessment at year 3, he has a good chance of passing MGS year 7 assessment and with a right amount of revision to GL/CEM papers, your DS can easily pass AGSB as well.
Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now