Boys results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Boys results

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"....For kids whose parents work it's become the week from **** as results all land on different days..."

I really don't understand this comment! What difference does it make? It's not as if you have to open your results and then it is the first to respond gets the place...you have until the end of October to complete your CAF form, and then get your school offer in March. Whether you work or not (and I think that was an unnecessary dig at parents who don't work) it makes not a jot of difference waiting until the end of the day to open the results. I know you are all nervous but, seriously....slightly first world problems...
Time doesn't fly

Post by Time doesn't fly »

I think the comment referred to being sat in work wondering all day whether the post has come. At least if you are home, and the postman has been then you can switch off till the next day. I don't think it was a "dig"
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

My previous comment was to express how anxious and stressed out I am at the whole 11 plus exam situation. Having now gone through this for the third time in 4 years I am utterly exhausted with the whole regime. I was not “making an unnecessary dig at parent who don’t work” I was merely trying to express how I feel about the lack of control over the arrival of results, impacted by being at work and therefore unable to open the post.
Yes there are bigger problems in the world but at this moment in time (along with rather a large number of other parents in Trafford and neighbouring areas) this is a major feature in our lives and has been for the past few months hence we seek support from each other through these stressful weeks by using this "11+forum" and need not be told that we need to get our lives into perspective.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Grammar schools are just schools - the same curriculum, similar problems. Every kid that goes to GS doesn't always succeed - every kid that goes to a state school doesn't always fail. Life is all about holding on to perspective. When you lose it, you get overly stressed about things that may seem all consumingly important, but actually may have happened for a good reason. That is all - hold on to perspective.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I wouldn't give it another thought workerbee. I can't speak for KCG but most of us were anxious waiting for results. It's perfectly normal.

To lighten the mood this post by JuliaB from 2006
JuliaB wrote:Hmm timetable.... I've had all day to think about it because I haven't been able to get onto the elevenplusexams website.... Major panic because I thought site had crashed. Too many people logged in perhaps? Anyway, timetable:

Get up at dawn or earlier, stare out of window for couple of hours. Think about how suddenly it gets light. Make tea. Forget to drink it. Think about going back to bed when first child appears scratching head and put kettle on again. Put on clothes that might match or not. Nail smile on face and act like domestic goddess. Make haphazard packed lunches as can't concentrate (why didn't I get another loaf out of freezer last night) Forget who likes coleslaw and who doesn't. Empty dishwasher, mutter about how rubbish it is at washing dishes. Take children to school. Wave 11+ candidate off cheerily. Sit in car with glazed expression until all other cars gone. Somehow make it home. Examine mat for indication of post. Consider cigarette. Remember stopped smoking about 10 years ago. Give serious thought to going to corner shop for supplies. Decide against in case miss post. Collect cold tea from kitchen. Sit on the edge of the stairs clutching cup staring at letterbox for 5 hours. Only answer phone to husband, no of course it hasn't bl++++ come yet. Get fed up, drive up and down local streets looking for postman. Get back in time to see postman is further up our street than our house. Retrieve envelope from pile of somerfield adverts and a leaflet about garden clearance that needs the grammar correcting. Clasp magic envelope to chest. Hold for approx one hour and drive back to school to collect pale and anxious child. Drive home in complete silence apart from saying it's here. Arrive home. Husband pacing floor in hall where is it, I can't believe you took it with you to school. Present child with envelope.......Pray.

3.47pm. Log onto web forum and share news.

3.48pm. Have large gin and tonic.

Might need that cigarette after all.

JuliaB
Tillybob

Post by Tillybob »

Thanks Mitasol... made me smile! I'm sure all parents are anxiously awaiting results and we all deal with that pressure in different ways but I'm sure no harm is meant.

We are all United in wanting the very best we can for our children which may or may not include giving them the chance to choose the school that they think is best for them. We are lucky to live in an area where we have fantastic schools regardless of academic achievements.

I think it's great that we can all chat on this forum to keep us busy until the long awaited results land.

Good luck to all our children.
deltamum

Post by deltamum »

Boys results were posted earlier last year as they sat the exam on 12th Sept not 17th as this year. The wait was about the same.
Tillybob

Post by Tillybob »

Thanks for the update.

Can't help thinking though that Posting so close to half term is going to cause unnecessary problems for families going on holiday who will have to rely on someone else picking up the post and passing on the score so the online applications can be completed.

There's nothing we can do except wait and try not to keep thinking about it! Driving me mad.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now