Trafford results thread...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
spacechimp

Re: Trafford results thread...

Post by spacechimp »

Postman has just been and DS has passed with a score of 361. So happy and can't wait to pick him up from school so I can tell him. He'll be so relieved!
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

Congratulations spacechimp!!!! This was the most nerve wracking experience I've had in a long time!
spacechimp

Post by spacechimp »

I know! Imagine how we'll be before GCSE and A level results :lol:
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Oh you'll be much worse then believe me!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm dropping in, this is bringing back memories of waiting for my sons St Ambrose result in 2009 :)

I came home from work at lunchtime as I couldn't stand the suspense.

Congrats to all for results and also for effort regardless of the outcome.
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

Yes I imagine it only get worse! :D
Sephy1

Post by Sephy1 »

No more Ambrose results yet?
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

Our experience of scoring 9 more for Stretford than Sale and 5 more for Sale than AGGS seems fairly standard - but someone I know passed Altrincham and failed Sale! Just wondering how this can happen - the standardisation must be different and I am guessing from my straw poll of one that AGGS pay more account to verbal skills.
lambanana

Post by lambanana »

Hello Trafford, your thread is very informative thank you. I was a real grammar school enthusiast before taking my son through this process. My son has passed for grammar school entry in our area (Wirral), but I am left feeling that it has been a tremendous amount of work and it seems rather random to assess children in this way. Whilst exploring your thread I wondered, how can a child take the same exam and be good enough for one school and not another? I feel very disillusioned with the process in general, and am wondering, has anyone else has lost confidence in the point of it whilst they've been going along?

A very well done to all the children mentioned on this thread, and all you parents too, who have had the perseverance to see these last few months through. Whatever your child's scores are, if they sat for the papers, you all frankly deserve a medal.

With Best Wishes, good luck and hope that you all get the schools you wanted.

BW your Wirral neighbour
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

lambanana wrote:Hello Trafford, your thread is very informative thank you. I was a real grammar school enthusiast before taking my son through this process. My son has passed for grammar school entry in our area (Wirral), but I am left feeling that it has been a tremendous amount of work and it seems rather random to assess children in this way. Whilst exploring your thread I wondered, how can a child take the same exam and be good enough for one school and not another? I feel very disillusioned with the process in general, and am wondering, has anyone else has lost confidence in the point of it whilst they've been going along?

A very well done to all the children mentioned on this thread, and all you parents too, who have had the perseverance to see these last few months through. Whatever your child's scores are, if they sat for the papers, you all frankly deserve a medal.

With Best Wishes, good luck and hope that you all get the schools you wanted.

BW your Wirral neighbour
You have so much more common sense than most here,the is no test invented or could ever be devised that can accurately predict the potential of a developing brain of an average 10 year old.

It's still developing!

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past

The order is
Rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last

For the times they are a-changin'.

Unfortunately,the times are not a-changing they are going backwards because those in power pander to the ignoramuses who hate and despise the so called liberal educated elite and ridicule evidence based policy.

I don't mind being ridiculed,I have had it all my life-bring it on!
Time doesn't fly

Post by Time doesn't fly »

Hi lamb,
It is a funny process isn't it, and quite easy to get lost in the pursuit to pass. I think Trafford is a little different to other areas in that our children take sometimes very different exams for different schools, and can very easily pass some and fail others. We are lucky in that the majority of comps are very good, but despite that a lot of parents still want the opportunities that a grammar can give, especially when you consider AGGS is one of the top performing state schools in the U.K. ( I don't know much about the boys side before anyone mentions I have left them out!!)
It would be better if overall school progress/ family situations etc could be taken into account so that the genuine brightest children, and those who would really benefit from a grammar education were given the places, however the system is ultimately flawed so that the middle class (who can afford the property prices in the area, and tuition, but can't quite afford independents - I include myself in this) get the majority of places. What is the answer though? Grammars don't suit all, and opportunities post school are very much academic driven.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now