Verbal reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wiltshire (Wilts)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hopefulmum2

Verbal reasoning

Post by hopefulmum2 »

I think I am confusing myself now. Which papers are best for preparing for VR? Are the Bond papers no good - do they cover different questions? I am wondering which papers are the best to start with (as an introduction)?
Many thanks
turtleglos

Re: Verbal reasoning

Post by turtleglos »

Hi Hopeful mum, try the verbal reasoning section for more info, or there is plenty of discussion on the gloucestershire section.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

The simple answer is that there are numerous different types of VR questions. I don't know enough about the Wiltshire exam to advise you which types are relevant for your particular exam, but what I do know is that authorities tend to test either 15 or 21 types of question, whereas the Bond books test around 40 types.

Why waste your time practising questions that won't come up?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

This thread is very helpful (written by one of our mods who is also a tutor). It sets out the books/papers to be tackled in the order she has found to be most useful over the years. Bear in mind it applies specifically to Buckinghamshire and the 21 question types. You will need to find out whether you need all 21 types or whether Wilts is a 15-type authority, but it will be a good start for you, I hope.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... f=3&t=3740

This thread lists the 21 types of question so you can identify them! If Wiltshire tests 15 types then 1-15 are the relevant types. (Types 16-21 are referred to on this board as HIKNOS - I mention that because I remember being very confused about what this HIKNOS was that everyone was referring to!)
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Having quickly skimmed the rest of the Wiltshire section I can see that there is reference to the VR being only the 15 types of question. Obviously, that's relying on other posters' information rather than being a definitive answer. Maybe someone who knows the Wiltshire system will chime in and confirm.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I remember that Sycamore came to the conclusion it was Nfer 21 types.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =26&t=9793
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

mitasol wrote:I remember that Sycamore came to the conclusion it was Nfer 21 types.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =26&t=9793
Thanks for that :)
hopefulmum2

Post by hopefulmum2 »

Thanks everyone - it seems so confusing at first.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

Wiltshire is 21 type. DS passed last year and has just started at Bishop's - I think that Bond is fine, but do try to mix it up with others nearer the time - After a while you can work out the way that BOND sets the questions, especially in Maths, but also for VR
hopefulmum2

Post by hopefulmum2 »

Thanks for your comments - our of curiosity what other papers did you use and did you home tutor? Thanks
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

I don't remember exactly what other papers we used - I will look at home this evening, basically we had a go at as many as we could.

We did 90% home tutoring, We used a tutor group for the 3 months 1 year before the exam, and we used an individual tutor in the last 3 months. Tutor was very useful at the start to teach VR strategies, tutor for 1 hour per week in last 3 months was invaluable
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now