To tutor or not to tutor....?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wirral Mum

To tutor or not to tutor....?

Post by Wirral Mum »

I have just joined this forum as my daughter is due to take her 11plus this autumn.
She is doing very well in school; however I am feeling increasingly under pressure to consider tutoring as I hear that good academic ability is not necessarily an indicator of success in the 11plus.
I would welcome any advice anyone may have regarding this subject....

Also, should tutoring prove to be a good option, how do I go about getting recommendations for a good tutor?
I can see the Wirral tutors listed on this site, however I would be interested in hearing some personal recommendations.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you do not necessarily need a professional tutor, it depends on personal preference and if your children take any notice of you!! I am a qualified teacher but HATED teaching my own children anything (and the feeling was mutual):lol:

I think it is important to familiarise your child with the elements of the Test though. If you decide the DIY route there is a lot of advice and help on this site.
Wirral Mum

Post by Wirral Mum »

Thanks for the prompt reply...
I have been thinking that a tutor is likely to have a lots of hints and tips on how to answer particular question types and therefore my daughter would benefit from this extra experience.
I would worry that if I tutored her myself, she may miss out on the benefit of this experience?
Still unsure of what to do....?
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi Wirral Mum

I didnt have a tutor for my daughter but wished I had. She is very quick and never failed at anythin.

You can buy books for linghams in Heswall with all the types and test papers. I had a lot of family problems so only entred my daughter last minute and bought all that I could. They do help but the key thing is timing which I think tutors can help with.

Many children at my daughters school were tutored and did well, but what happens when they get to the grammar school and find it hard to keep up.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

I don't think you need a tutor I didn't use one for either of my kids both passed well ( my son got 100%) If you use the interactive cd's on this site along with the recommended books you can diy!
There are also lots of people here ready to give you free help and advice!
If you really do want a tutor then I suggest the *********
Be careful though because if you tutor them too much then will they cope when they get there?
I would suggest doing some of the free trails on this site to get a guide of your DD ability-she needs to get about 85% (236 is pass mark out of possible 282 -over 2 papers)
hope that helps Pensby :)

Removed by a moderator, advertising against forum rules. patricia
Wirral Mum

Post by Wirral Mum »

Thanks so much to all of you for your advice...
I think I may try a bit of DIY to start with and see how it goes. Then, if I think she needs a confidence boost, maybe look at a tutor.

I like the idea of an interactive CD - I'll take a look at those.

I also take your points about over-tutoring. Her teacher tells me she has the ability to pass the 11 plus and also has the ability to handle a Grammar school environment, so I guess I'm just not wanting to leave anything to chance. I'd hate to think that she misses out on a Grammar school education just because she didn't have experience of answering a particular style of question...

Thanks also for the tip about ****

edited to remove advertising
surreymum
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Wirral Mum

Some of the things you ned to know about Wirral 11+

There are two tests.
Both tests are verbal reasoning.
Both tests contain 80 questions to be completed in 50 minutes.
The scores from both tests are added then standardised for age.
The tests come from a bank of 21 question types.

The majority of the question types are not covered at school within the National Curriculum.
There is a wide range of variance within the help provided by individual primary schools.

Out of Area children can receive additional practice for the tests and Prep schools specifically tutor for the tests.

Something in theregion of 90% of all children who pass 11+ tests receive tuition of some kind.

There is no need to employ the services of a tutor if,
You know the format of the tests.
You know the question types for the tests.
You know the variances contained within the question types.
You feel competent to use your own skills and advice from people who contribute to this forum.
You are confident that you can maintain a tutor/student relationship rather than a parent/child.
You have the time to tutor your own child.

Before purchasing the CDs look at the free demo first. The Tutors VR1 CD contains all the question types with five questions for each type.
Also look at the free methods & techniques course, that contains the variances within the question types.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

I think a lot depends also on which school your daughter attends. I know that some schools situated close to the Grammar schools have 11 plus clubs and do some tutoring themselves whereas others (such as my daughter's primary school) do nothing at all apart from going through the obligatory familiarisation packs a week or so before the test.
Although on reflection I think she would have passed anywayI had my daughter tutored just to be on the safe side! It can be a bigger risk if your alternative local schools are not a good second choice.
Yes, you could tutor her yourself (still tutoring) but sometimes I think children do better with some emotional detachment from their teacher.
boristhebear09

The Tutors Method and Technique Course

Post by boristhebear09 »

I looked up the Tutors Method and Technique Course a couple of weeks ago after reading this forum and was able to access it and printed off a few sections for practice. I have tried again today and the link no longer exists. Has it been removed completely or is it just being updated? I found it a very useful tool and was wondering if there is anything else like it available if it has been permanently removed.

Boris the Bear
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Boris, the authors have withdrawn the M&T course.

We recommend the IPS 11 Plus Verbal Reasoning Method & Technique Guide for Parents & Pupils.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now