Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: caldy v woodchurch
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:32 pm 

I live on the woodchurch and ive put my son in to sit the exam. But I visited woodchurch last night and I am now wondering what benefit is there in a grammar ? I know the grades but my son can get them anywhere yes ? its on my doorstep - no travel expenses but keep thinking calday is a good sch ? or is it with everything going on ? i dont want to stop my sons potential. im stuck opinons plz -oh im a sgl working mum and dont drive. Thanks for read.

Post subject: Re: caldy v woodchurch
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:06 pm 

Hi
My son is at Calday in Year 9
I think it is an excellant school - the problems over the head/governors are not causing to much disruption and hopefully will be sorted out soon !
There are boys from all over the Wirral and certainly from the Woodchurch, my son only pays £1 a day for the bus I would expect that is the same from anywhere .
I believe Woodchuch to be a very good school and it's a tough choice -did you like calday on the open day ? did your son ?
How well does he do on the practice 11+ papers?
If you put Calday first and he passes the 11+ then he will go there,if he dosen't get a high score he will then go to Woodchurch so why not let the exam decide for you
any more q's - please ask
Pensby

Post subject: Re: caldy v woodchurch
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:20 pm 

Hi there. There are also other grammar schools on the Wirral. St Anselm's in particular has a very different atmosphere that some people prefer-i.e. smaller and more pastorally focus (and yes Catholic based!)

Also remember that Woodchurch doesn't have a 6th form so transport will become an issue at some time.