11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
3pink

Re: 11 plus primary school league tables

Post by 3pink »

Well I was going to call them thicko's but poor souls seemed kinder :lol:
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

You know my daughter was a few years ago one of the "poor souls" or "thicko's from a state school and got almost full marks in her 11 plus and was offered a scholarship to Birkenhead!

One valuable thing she learned in those early years was good grace.
3pink

Post by 3pink »

NotionPotion wrote:You know my daughter was a few years ago one of the "poor souls" or "thicko's from a state school and got almost full marks in her 11 plus and was offered a scholarship to Birkenhead!

One valuable thing she learned in those early years was good grace.
Did she learn to read too ? Can she teach you ? Because what I actually wrote was "my daughters ex classmates" I'm well aware there are children who do very well at state school, myself included but not those children from that school.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

You have to agree you can come across as Mumbojumbo implied whatever the intent as your previous posting demonstrates.
SJK247

Post by SJK247 »

Personally I believe that having to coach and tutor your child to enable them to pass an exam is fake, probably like most of the parents! If your child has NATURAL ability they would not need coaching and to be honest would achieve with the right encouragement, dedication, attitude and motivation at any school. I think kids have far too much pressure put on them these days. I have one child who is academic and one that is more creative, they are both fantastic kids with good work ethics, their effort grades are outstanding. As long as they give the best they can I would much rather they enjoyed being CHILDREN and were happy :-)
martye

Post by martye »

I have never entered a forum discussion before but feel that some of the postings here are to say the least offensive and inaccurate. We have recently moved here from down South where there was a fantastic non-selective comprehensive system. My son already in Year 9 passed the 13+ without tutoring. My daughter has just learned she has passed the 11+ (and the Upton exam - I suspect there was a lot of head scratching from her at both!) We decided not to buy into the tutoring/private school frenzy for her but were able to support her by using practice papers (over six weeks). It saddens me that some parents feel the need to call children who have not benefited from private tuition/school or whose parents do not have the time, knowledge or confidence to help them, “thickos”. Surely the point of grammar schools is to give all children the chance to achieve their potential whatever their social or educational background? It seems to me that there is no level playing field here as the majority of Wirral children who pass the 11+ have been comprehensively tutored through it. It’s about time that Wirral Council (and others) changed the format of the test so that cognitive ability is the paramount criterion; an attribute that luckily can’t be bought.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

I think Wirral has some very unfortunate features in its school system. I certainly agree that there can only be one result from the scale of tutoring; namely a material proportion of the intake who shouldn't really be there.

I am not sure that it excludes anyone though because Wirral Grammar schools (and other Wirral schools in general) can't fill the places (hence the buses from Wales, Chester etc) and in theory someone in the top 30% or whatever should be able to pass without tutoring.

A separate issue is whether the Wirral 11+ is a particularly good indicator of ability or aptitude. Interestingly the only one of the Grammar schools who does something different is St. Anselm's and they tend to lag behind somewhat in their A level/GCSE exam results.
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

3pink wrote:Well I was going to call them thicko's but poor souls seemed kinder :lol:

I dont think it's fair to call anyone 'thick' some children just need a little more time then others!
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

guest43 wrote:I think Wirral has some very unfortunate features in its school system. I certainly agree that there can only be one result from the scale of tutoring; namely a material proportion of the intake who shouldn't really be there.

I am not sure that it excludes anyone though because Wirral Grammar schools (and other Wirral schools in general) can't fill the places (hence the buses from Wales, Chester etc) and in theory someone in the top 30% or whatever should be able to pass without tutoring.

A separate issue is whether the Wirral 11+ is a particularly good indicator of ability or aptitude. Interestingly the only one of the Grammar schools who does something different is St. Anselm's and they tend to lag behind somewhat in their A level/GCSE exam results.

Guest43 when did the schools start putting on buses for children from Wales and Chester?? I thought the cut off point for the bus was just after the Glegg Pub??
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Please try and discuss things without respoting to generalisations and words which can seem offensive to others, posts are not always 'read' in the tone which one intended when writing them

yoyo
mod
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now