Time Please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Robyn

Time Please!

Post by Robyn »

Hi Everyone,

My sons Headteacher has stated that he will only tell the children when there is 5 minutes left of the exam time, we have asked him if he could let him know when there is 2mins left but he has refused. This might sound trivial but my son is dyslexic and needs every minute he can to answer the questions before he goes back over the questions and fills in the missed questions. Can anyone help with advice on how we can help him and is it the policy of NFER or Wirral Lea to tell the children when 5 mins left.
Advice please anyone.
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Firstly, I suggest that you provide your son with a watch. When the headteacher says there is five minutes to go then your son should be able to manage the time himself.

With an average of 37.5 seconds per question he should be on or around question 72.

As a dyslexic child he should miss out all the questions with the hidden three-letter word and the questions where a scenario is given to work out, these are the most difficult questions for children with dyslexia to attempt.

He should be able to attempt all the other questions and should not leave any out.

If he misses out these 7 or 8 questions he should be close to finishing the paper when the headteacher gives the five minutes to go warning.

I suggest that your son chooses the middle answer for all hidden three-letter word questions, unless he is confident that he knows the answer (do not randomise the choices as this decreases the probability). He has, with probability, the chance of getting some questions correct.

He will then have approximately 4 minutes to go over questions he was not sure about.

I hope this helps, I know that dyslexia is more of a spectrum ranging from mild symptoms to somewhat debilitating symptoms and would not know where your son lies.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now