Help choosing a Primary school in Eastham area for move.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mcole

Help choosing a Primary school in Eastham area for move.

Post by mcole »

Hi. can anyone help me please!! Moving to Eastham in Summer as oldest child got a place at Wirral Grammar school. I have a younger boy who will be going into year 5 in September. Can anyone recommend a good school for him which will prepare him well for trying for Grammar when his time comes?!!
Have looked on internet at local recent SATS results and Brackenwood school or Brockenhurst seem favourite. Can anyone advise me? Sometimes results can be misleading and want to make sure school ethos is great too (I work in Primary education!). Will be visiting some but you can't always get an accurate assessment from a 30 minute visit!! Any parents out there who have had a child at any of the above schools or could recommend another? Any advice greatly appreciated! :D
sjw

Re: Help choosing a Primary school in Eastham area for move.

Post by sjw »

My daughter goes to Raeburn Primary (as does my son). She got her Wirral Grammar letter yesterday and passed the 11+ with a good score.
We're very happy with the school.
Interestingly, I thought it was out of 280 - 140 each? She scored 141 in one of them. :?
mcole

Post by mcole »

Hiya. Thank you for your reply. Really well done to your daughter with such a high score! Yes you are right it is a maximum score of 140 for each test and that includes the extra possible adjustment points for their age, if they have a late birthday in the school year. I phoned Raeburn school yesterday and they are full in september for year 5. :(
Looking at brookhurst, brakenwood, Christ the King Catholic and possibly Mill road in higher bebington. Raeburn was my first choice but never mind. Whats the local reputation for the above?!! Thanks so much for your help, I do appreciate it.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. I am from North Wirral so I don't know the schools you talk about. The SATs results seem fine (for what they are worth!:).

One word of caution. If you select a Catholic primary school you may be steered formally or informally towards the Catholic Grammar schools. These are fine schools other than from Eastham travelling to either of them every day may be a "complete pain in the bum"!
sjw

Post by sjw »

I have heard the Christ the King is good but don't really 'do religion' so don't know any more about it.. :(
HopefulDen

Post by HopefulDen »

Poulton Lancelyn is an excellent primary just in between Bromborough and Spital in CH63. It prepares pupils for 11+ and both my neice and nephew went there. Both have gone to the Wirral Grammar school for girls and boys. Can see the prospectus at http://www.poultonlancelyn.wirral.sch.uk/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is a very lovely school. Good Luck
Last edited by HopefulDen on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denise J
mcole

Post by mcole »

Thank you everybody for your help about the schools. Will have a really good read of that other school prospectus-Poulton Lancelyn and see if I can visit there too at the end of the week. :P
rachw

Post by rachw »

Hi came across this forum by accident and noticed your post! I live in Bromborough and have 2 children at Christ the King although they are only in year 1 and 2 at present! However I think it is an excellent school with a good community feel ! I know there are plenty of children off to Wirral Grammer for girls and for boys as well as to the catholic grammers!
mcole

Post by mcole »

Thank you Very much for your post. We went to visit schools a couple of weeks ago and chose Christ the King catholic school. We were really impressed and what a friendly school! Adam goes to the induction on the 13th July. Ask your children to look out for a shy boy wondering around in the playground lost!! Thats all he concerned about-he said it was like a rabbit warren!! He starts properly in september as we move to Eastham village over the summer holidays. I'm sure he is going to have a great time there. Kind regards Michelle :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now