For MIKE please...Final words of encouragement

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wish Upon A Star

For MIKE please...Final words of encouragement

Post by Wish Upon A Star »

Hi Mike,
As a professional tutor for the 11+, may I please ask what are your final words of advice & encouragement to the children due to sit their first exam this coming Tuesday? My child has suddenly become very negative about the whole process, even though he is able and very well prepared. He also found the two practice tests at school went OK.It's a shame this 'last minute panic' has set in, although I don't think he's alone as all his friends are saying the same?

Any guidance or words of wisdom to help my child to become positive again please?

Thanks.
Wish Upon A Star. :?
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi WUAS

We give three pieces of advice:

1 Don't panic
2 Keep working through the paper
and
3 Don't panic

Traditionally, the practice papers are more difficult than the real papers, particularly the first practice paper.

What is important is that the parent stays calm. This time of year we find ourselves counselling anxious parents rather than anxious children.

If your son is becoming demotivated because of the long process of preparation. Try using the analogy of a football game, the papers represent the last few minutes of the match, he has played the game well up to this point and it would be a shame for him to stop playing when he is so close to the end. The prize, of course, is passing the test.

Good luck to him

Regards

Mike
Wish Upon A Star

Thanks Mike

Post by Wish Upon A Star »

Thanks ever so much for your reply Mike. I'll follow your suggestions over the next few days. Football is his favourite sport actually,so your comments are very fitting!

Good luck with the business, your free advice on this forum is very welcome & helpful. Thanks again.

Regards....W U A S :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now