Thinking of moving to Wirral

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
billthornton

Thinking of moving to Wirral

Post by billthornton »

Hi,

I would be grateful if someone could help me with a question I have.

We are thinking of moving to Welsh Road, Childer Thornton. Our eldest daughter, should be capable of getting a reasonable mark in the 11+ exam, and hopefully with some tutoring, this ought to make it more likely. She would not be due to sit the exam for a couple of years yet, but we thought we should start thinking about it now.

I am not 100% sure on how catchment areas work. I have checked on google maps and the driving distance to Wirral Grammar School for girls is 5.6miles, 6.2miles, 6.4 miles depending on the route your choose.

However the house we are looking at is in the Cheshire West and Chester council area, not in the Wirral council area.

Will this fact mean that our daughter would be less likely to get in to the grammar school than someone that is closer and within the Wirral council area?

If Wirral Grammar school for girls is not an option, I cannot seem to find any other grammar schools that are closer, or have a missed one?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Bill
guest43

Re: Thinking of moving to Wirral

Post by guest43 »

Hi there. Basically being Wirral rather than Cheshire West is not the issue but it IS the case that if Wirral Girls is oversubscribed then distance from the school is used as a key determinant of whether a place is awarded. Wirral Girls is not always oversubscribed but often is and it is possible that 6 miles+ would be too far for a place.

There are two other grammar schools in Wirral for girls. West Kirby which generally is slightly less popular than Wirral Girls, applies the distance criteria and would not be a great daily journey from Childer Thornton. Upton Hall, which applies a different criteria for Catholics and non-Catholics. For non-Catholics a distance criteria is NOT applied but they select from the highest 11+ score downwards. Again not a great journey to school.

The only other grammar school in the area is in Liverpool.

There are a number of selective independent schools in Birkenhead and Chester, whose buses may pass through Childer Thornton.

Hope that helps.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now