Tutors 11+ practice paper 1B

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bati

Tutors 11+ practice paper 1B

Post by Bati »

My daughter will be sitting the wirral 11+ this september.
This morning she did the Tutor practice paper 1B verbal reasoning and got 92.5% (74/80) I am just wondering if this paper is an easy paper. Is this the type of level of the paper she will sit in september or is this easier
should she be doing harder ones if so which ones
thanks
patricia

Re: Tutors 11+ practice paper 1B

Post by patricia »

Dear Bati

The Tutors tests 1b to 12b are of a medium difficulty with the first few being relatively easy. The tests taken are the same as in Bucks, the difference being the Wirral take the aggregate score of both tests.

Take a look at my second post in the following link for a list of relevant publishers.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patricia
kittykat92

Post by kittykat92 »

Hi there,

I dont think my DD has sat any of The Tutors papers yet but maybe we should!?! She has sat all the Bright Sparks papers and has been scoring between 80% - 95% so quite a big range.

She has found the Learning Labs series (red book in particular) really difficult.

Does anybody know what she should be scoring by now in order to be on track to pass?? I know its difficult to say!!

She sits it in September eeekk!! :shock:
Bati

Post by Bati »

Thanks for that Patricia - i have been to whsmith today and got the gl assessment one they didnt have the bright sparks one so will have to order that

Kittykat - some people have said 80% is a pass others have said 85% is a pass for wirral 11+ so it sounds like your DD is doing great. which school are you hoping to get into
kittykat92

Post by kittykat92 »

Hi Bati,

My DD is hoping for Wirral Grammar but we live in Neston so not sure how we'd fair against the other closer primary schools. She liked West Kirby too and really liked Upton so she's going in for their VR test.

Ideally she'd love Wirral Grammar.

How about you?
Bati

Post by Bati »

we live in great sutton
we have looked at wirral grammar and upton hall and are sitting both 11+ exams
We really liked wirral grammar but even if she passess we are worried about the distance as we are 9 miles away and places goes on distance from the school
Starting to get worried that she is not going to pass the 11+ as we havnt really done that much towards.
today i bought the gl assessment pack 2 and i gave her one today todo and she didnt finish it :(
hoping that these ones are alot harder than the real ones. I think we will have to put more effort in as at the moment she spends 1-2 hours a week on it so maybe get her to do an hour a day
kittykat92

Post by kittykat92 »

I am also worried that my DD wont pass and I know she will be devastated!!

Have you got the 'IPS 11+ Daily Practice Tests'? There are three books with 20 test papers in each. Each test paper has 10 questions and should only take 4 or 5 mins to complete. My DD completes one of these every day just to keep her up to speed etc.
I have only just ordered the GL assessment papers. Are they really hard?? The 'Walsh' papers I ordered should arrive today and I have heard they are really difficult so kinda dreading looking through them!

We are 5.7 miles away (yes I have used AA route finder for exact distance!! :lol: ) which makes that school our closest but we're still not in the 'catchment' area either but that doesn't mean we won't get in.

Do you have a tutor?
Bati

Post by Bati »

you should get in on that distance - i spoke to the head and this year they went to 9 miles away year before 22 miles away. Were abit hit and miss due to miles but you are fine
We didnt even look at anything to do with the 11+ till june and only done 1-2 hours a week. I got her a tutor about 5 weeks ago as she had no places till then so hopefully this will help.
We never gave it much thought till we went to the open evening and this was a last minute decision to go. She had really good grades through out her schooling and always been above average and this yr she has finished on level 5A for everything so after finding this yr grades out we thought grammar school was the right thing to do for her.
Although now i am really worried that we left it to late to start looking at it and we havnt really put as much effort in as we should off
I went to chester yesterday and bought the gl assessment pack 2 - she could do it but far to slow, which sent me in a complete panic yesterday so last night i searched through this website to find out more about this pack and it turns out it is harder than pack 1 and quite a few kids/parents found it hard. Feel slightly better so i am gonna buy the bright sparks and gl pack 1 this morning. i will look into the ips daily practice
Do you do much with your daughter, does she have a tutor?
kittykat92

Post by kittykat92 »

Yeah my DD has had a tutor since January and after a few weeks she seemed not really bothered and the tutor spoke to me coz she was just leaving questions out and not bothered but my DD can be a bit lazy at times when it comes to her school work and gets by on doing just the bare minimum!! I decided to take things into my own hand after we had a long chat as to whether she wanted to do it. She said she did but realised she would have to start putting in effort! I went over all 21 question types with her and we were at it 4-5 times a week back in February! I looked through all the test papers and made flash cards using any difficult words that I thought she may not know. The maths questions she is fine with....its the vocab where she loses marks.
We only did it that often untill she was getting over 90% then we eased off a bit.

I do stuff with her now almost every day but this is mostly talking about words (your tutor should have given you lists of words to work through such as opposites, similar meanings, names of animals young and their homes etc) although I do 2 long test papers each week.

Don't worry about her speed, this will come on the more she does. My DD finishes an 80 question paper in about 35-40 mins now. She always leaves out the Z types (logical thinking) till the end. These questions take time and are only worth 1 mark.

Some tutors will say to circle any you're not sure of then move on and come back to it. My DD doesnt do this (except on the Z types) she answers it and then goes back over the paper at the end because she has time. I have seen my friend's daughter get confused with this and lose where she is in the paper even though she has circled it.

My DD is of the mindset that if she doesn't know it then she'll never know it haha!! This method kinda works for her because she has the time to go back and check.

I honestly think your daughter will be fine. If she has achieved a 5A for end of term then she is very bright. My DD finished up on a 4 (I'm sure she could get higher but as I said before....bare minimum!)

There is a boy in my DD's tutor group who finished on a 5A and he picked things up very quickly on the 11+ and never scores below 90%.....even on the hardest practice papers.

Phew....just realised how long this post is hahaha!
Bati

Post by Bati »

OMG we have not done anything like that - really panicing now :?
i have just printed off the words on here for her to learn but i feel lost as where to start with us leaving everything so late, starting to feel that i have let her down and she is heading for a fall
your dd sounds like she will sail through it :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now