Upton Hall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mjames

Upton Hall

Post by mjames »

Why do Upton Hall and St Anselm's have separate exams?Are they not under the Wirral Borough jurisdiction?Or are they not "really" grammar schools, but just retaining the name(like Manchester Grammar which is not a grammar school)?

I would like to know whether these schools are any different from the common folk's concept of grammar schools.

Could anyone with kids there shed some light,please

Thanks in advance :)
yoyo123

Re: Upton Hall

Post by yoyo123 »

I presume it is because they fall into the category of Voluntary Aided, Trust, Foundation and Academy schools, which have a greater say in the running of the school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_aided_school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bati

Post by Bati »

its a Catholic grammar school for girls. With it being Catholic it means its run by wirral and the diocese so they are able to set their own 11+ exams
mjames

Post by mjames »

Thanks yoyo and bati.
So am I safe to assume Upton is a grammar school similar to Bebington and West Kirby with respect to academics?Why I ask is,I've been told otherwise!!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have you looked at their website?

links are included along with other useful info, here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ol-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mjames

Post by mjames »

Yes I have gone to their website.And I reckon its a usual grammar school, with a bit of religious/catholic flavour. The person who advised me thought otherwise as it has a separate exam from the Wirral Local Authority. Hence I thought of asking in this forum(It would be bit daft to ring them and ask whether they are "really a grammar school"?) :?
Wirralian

Post by Wirralian »

mjames wrote:Yes I have gone to their website.And I reckon its a usual grammar school, with a bit of religious/catholic flavour. The person who advised me thought otherwise as it has a separate exam from the Wirral Local Authority. Hence I thought of asking in this forum(It would be bit daft to ring them and ask whether they are "really a grammar school"?) :?
Don't be fooled by what you hear - Upton Hall and St.Anselm's College are very definitely grammar schools, with exceptionally high standards. Have a look at their respective results at GCSE and A Level, which will provide an indication of the quality of education provided. If you get the chance, examine the Ofsted reports for each school. :)
bobbybrown

Post by bobbybrown »

Upton Hall and St Anselm's do not use 11+ so are not grammar schools; only grammar schools are West Kirby, Calday, Wirral Girls and Wirral Boys. As a result the entry requirements for the aforementioned grammar schools are higher.

However Upton Hall and St Anselm's even though their intake are not as able as the other schools do wonders with them and Upton for example achieved the best GCSE results on the Wirral this year. In addition Upton and St Anselm's have the X factor in my opinion as they are truly care about educating the whole person. The other schools tend to be exam factories IMO.
mjames

Post by mjames »

Wirralian wrote: Upton Hall and St.Anselm's College are very definitely grammar schools, with exceptionally high standards.
bobbybrown wrote:Upton Hall and St Anselm's do not use 11+ so are not grammar schools
This is exactly why I asked the forum, as I'm getting conflicting views, just as quoted above :shock:

So what makes a grammar school different from a state school? Just the entry exam? Or do they have a different curriculum?

I'm genuinely confused, so please help :cry:
Bati

Post by Bati »

They are grammar schools they just do a different 11+ because they are catholic so independantly run
my dd has sat upton halls exams and wirral exams this week
the pass mark for both is the same and they were both 2 verbal reasoning tests.
admission criteria for both is you have to pass the 11+ with 236 points or above.
Wirral then allocate place on distance where upton hall allocate first to catholic children and doesnt matter where they live
There grades for gcse are pretty much the same
Grammar schools are still state schools but tend to be single sex schools and they push them alot harder to achieve good grades. They also tend to have alot more homework than a comprehensive