Choosing school- how important is distance to frienships?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
miggi

Choosing school- how important is distance to frienships?

Post by miggi »

I'm in a it of a dilema. I have boy/ girl twins and am trying to decide on alternatives to the Grammar schools should they not pass. We live in Bebington, and my DD is quite happy with Prenton girls as her next choice and Pensby Girls close behind. My husband hates the local comp. DS has passed for St Anselms but prefers Pensby boys. My concern is that Pensby only has one bus every hr. and I wondered how this combined with the distance would affect his ability to make good friends? I'll probably be able to drive him if really need, but I think he may miss out on the social aspect of school. My son is shy and not many from our area would be applying.
I just wondered if anyone had an opinion on this?
The next thing is if one goes to Pensby, should I send both?
Wish Friday would come then hopefully this will be academic!!
Bati

Re: Choosing school- how important is distance to frienships

Post by Bati »

we have a simular problem as in my dd has passed upton hall (still waiting on wirral results) there is very few children in our area who go there, maybe one or 2 a yr.
This really worries me as i know when she is a teenager her social life will be very important to her and she would have no local friends which is going to limit her alot.
Also there is no school bus and i really dont feel comfortable in sending her via public transport
hopefully both your children will have passed and this will no longer be a worry come friday
guest43

Re: Choosing school- how important is distance to frienships

Post by guest43 »

Hi I have a 15 year old daughter and have been following this group since before her 11+. In my experience they will make friends with who they choose and this might mean having to drive them up and down and round the Wirral. Once they get to around 14 they will (and will expect) to get around by public transport, especially Merseyrail which is way cooler than the buses!