To appeal or not to appeal??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sata

Re: To appeal or not to appeal??

Post by sata »

KatieC you have a good point in this discussion. I believe that too much of over reliance on coaching in some cases may have some level of impact on their level of independence.

There were kids in my dd's class who were persistently coached by successive class teacher and hence will also be seen to get the highest score or levels. I always say to my dd that don't worry about that as we are only doing you good by ensuring that you grow up to be an independent learner. My dd has been exposed to external exams since the age of 6yrs for Piano and has proved successful all cases and at the same time kept at last one level above her normal targets [English, Maths and Science].

Some of the kids that were coached by teachers did not pass some of the 11+ exams they took and my dd passed all despite not being coached by external tutor. As an experienced post-16 teacher, I always try to support her, but not to spoon feed her with facts which is very helpful for children to grow independently.

Another scenario is a situation of one of her friend in the same class who did not achieve the equivalent of level 5 in any of her Yr5 SAT result, but was intensely coached [with 3 tutors] and scored one of the highest in all her 11+ exam results [Bexley, Kent and Newstead].

I said to my dd, you should be very proud of your achievements [for passing all three exams] and she is still preparing for a Grade 6 Piano, Grade 3 Ballet and Grade 1 Tap exams in December 2012. Passionte about performing arts and hence doesn't mind challenging herself through the exams, but talented in the Sciences.

In summary to KatieC's point, I feel that if a child did not make the required score for the 11+ exams and particularly if dc's score is very low there is no point in appealing. A very good comprehensive school would be most suitable and comfortably relaxing for the particular dc to shine. I still have 2 more dc to take through the system of 11+ testing, but have made it clear to them that we will never go through appeal if for some reason they did not make it.

Every dc have the opportunity to shine in any secondary environment [be it Grammar, Comprehensive or Independent] in the UK provided the home [family] is ready to support them through their journey. The advantage of studying in a Grammar and Independent environment is the status and most importantly high level of competition which naturally helps dc's to grow and thrive well. My dd was very impressed seeing the high level of musical performance displayed by students in one of the grammar schools we visited. Being passionate about music, she is now becoming thirsty to get her hands on the Saxophone before she start Yr7 in September 2013.
halligan7

Post by halligan7 »

My son is 13 points short of the pass mark. In all practice tests he has scored consistently high I can only think that it was just nerves on the day. Is it worth appealing or his score too far away? I would really like some thoughts/views on this please. I am set to appeal but I am not sure if I would be wasting the panel's time. I would really appreciate some thoughts on this.
Thank you
sata

Post by sata »

Halligan7, l think you need to plan a strong case if your intention is to appeal. Thirteen marks is a lot away and if appealing you need to have evidence relating to illness during the exam or something more valid.
Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it anyway.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

halligan7 wrote:My son is 13 points short of the pass mark. In all practice tests he has scored consistently high I can only think that it was just nerves on the day. Is it worth appealing or his score too far away? I would really like some thoughts/views on this please. I am set to appeal but I am not sure if I would be wasting the panel's time. I would really appreciate some thoughts on this.
Thank you
Hi Halligan - welcome to the forum. You need initially to have a read of the Q&A about appeals: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KatieC

Post by KatieC »

hermanmunster wrote:
halligan7 wrote:My son is 13 points short of the pass mark. In all practice tests he has scored consistently high I can only think that it was just nerves on the day. Is it worth appealing or his score too far away? I would really like some thoughts/views on this please. I am set to appeal but I am not sure if I would be wasting the panel's time. I would really appreciate some thoughts on this.
Thank you
Hi Halligan - welcome to the forum. You need initially to have a read of the Q&A about appeals: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I agree with hermanmunster, look back at recommendations about appeals also the blogs on this site. Unfortunately, nerves are not a recognised impediment. If your son is at a high standard in Maths and English including reading, also Science but not so important now sadly, since they have ditched Science SATs, then there will be a case for appealing. However, your son's Head may have already sent his details for review before the results came out, thus in some cases changing children's 'fails' to achieving the standard for GS. You need to discuss this with her/him. If your Head is unsympathetic and did not consider sending your son's case for review ( usually if you are out of the county ), then you may have a good reason to appeal, though the further the child is away from the pass mark the harder it is to be successful in an appeal. Hope things work out well for your son.