Big Push

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hopeful Den

Big Push

Post by Hopeful Den »

Starting to feel it's coming together at last.
Beenfocusing on method and technique practice with IPS and the Tutor's CD as well as short IPS tests. Now moved on to the Tutor's papers and my son reached 96% on his first try. We'll do the partner paper this week and get an average but I felt very encouraged. We'll continue with these for the next few weeks as well as the CD practice( He enjoys this) and vocab games, and then move on to Bright Sparks-I've taken 1/2 term off work to do a bit of intensive with him (and have some fun as well!) and practice the Nfer papers in the last couple of weeks.
Everything we've gone over seems to have suddenly stuck in his head!
Also more relaxed having seen some of the local all ability schools which seemed decent

If he carries on like this I'll be pleased. He really is doing his best as he want's to pass and I can ask no more-I proud of how hard he's tried-whatever the result. If he doesn't pass after this he probably wasn't Grammar school material anyway, but he's picked it up so quickly I have a feeling.....Parents evening just before 1/2 term will give us a clue I think
Denise
WirralJW

Post by WirralJW »

Sorry to disappoint you but most schools won't tell you much at the parents evening. Very few even recognise the importance of the 11+ as they are under pressure to get the children up to the expected standards in SATS. They don't get measured on 11+ successes, only on performance in the SATs. It's a shame, because the 11+ matters so much more to the children - no-one will ever care what they got in their KS2 SATs, but their success in GCSEs and A-Levels with influence their entire adult life, and it's the school they go to after eleven that has the greatest influence on that.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Very sad but so very true WirralJW.

You hit the nail on the head!

AM
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hiya Den
Glad things are coming together, we feel the same,son is getting 93-98%
average .
You are lucky to have the schools support,we get virtually none.Our heads says that our local comp is suitable for all children and gives no advice.

My son did 1 practice paper in school,he said it was ancient and was'nt even miltiple choice,I was pleased to be told he got 93% though!

Anyway good luck with the preparation
Pensby

AM and Wirral JW
I agree with you 100% ,most wirral primarys give parents NO help or advice about the 11+ this site is invaluable ,I wish I'd know about it 3 years ago when my daughter ats her exam!!
keep up the posts, I appreciate the help from last years Mums!
Pensby