Help and advice over Birkenhead and Kingsmead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kelannhugh

Help and advice over Birkenhead and Kingsmead

Post by kelannhugh »

Please can anyone help. My daughter is in year 8 at BHSA she has learning difficulties and is progressing. The problem I have is that she dislikes the school. It has come to the point where she refuses to get out the car when I drop her and my older daughter who is in year 11.

I have had meeting with the school and still normal answer as to why she wants to move schools.

I have been looking at Birkenhead as my older daughter has applied for 6th form scholarship.

Can anyone share information regarding admissions and whether my younger daughter would have to sit a test.

The only other school I have been looking at is Kingsmead.

Does anyone have any experience with these schools that can offer advice
rebsto

Re: Help and advice over Birkenhead and Kingsmead

Post by rebsto »

I am sorry your daughter is not happy at the moment. Have the school and you discussed any problems and how to solve them, has she said why she is unhappy? As for the 2 schools you are interested in, have you made an appoiintment and had a meeting to discuss your daughters needs there? I think if you can tell them the detailed information they can advise you if their school is suitable. You dont want the problem to move schools with you. Is there anything in particular bothering your daughter do you know?
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi Rebsto,

I had meeting with my daughters head of year last week. She isn't saying much as to why she wants to leave. I have asked her if it's the teachers/lessons etc and she has said no. She has said the students are not very nice. A few girls have said a few rumours about her which is ridiculous. The head of year was aware of the rumours and approached the girl who started them. The girl denied everything. One of my daughters friends moved to Pensby last year due to bullying.

My daughter is a very shy girl who wouldn't say boo to a ghost she doesn't have a best friend, isn't eating properly and is very self conscious at the moment. I have tried to reassure her but she's convinced a new school will be a fresh start. I think she is being bullied.

I have contacted Kingsmead and am going to their open day next week. I would prefer Birkenhead School but I'm not sure they will accept my daughter as she has learning difficulties (weak literacy)

It's all very hard :( I don't want to leave her in a school that's making her so unhappy.
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

oh the poor girl, doesnt sound like the school is helping her much at the moment. Have you spoken to birkenhead to see what they say about any learning issues? i think you are doing the right thing by looking at kingsmead, let us know how you get on
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

did you manage to go to kingsmead open evening? how did you get on?
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Hiya I do feel so sorry for you and your daughter!! I think though you need to get to the bottom of the problem and contact the school and keep doing it until it's resolved! I know it's hard try and get her to open up! I personally think that all girls schools have this problem! Particularly seems year 8 have a period where the girls can be vile!! Friendship groups change! I remember year 8 head of year telling me this!! My daughter is at West Kirby and trust me they have the same issues!! I have heard people leave West Kirby and go to Birkenhead! It happens all over! I do hope you get to the bottom of it! Good luck :)
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi again

Tyra I have tried everything, my husband thinks like you and we should be going back in and speaking to the head of year. But every time he just makes it worse.

My daughter keeps saying she wants to leave and the only reason she's going in now is because we are going to the Kingsmead open evening next week.

I don't know why girls can be so nasty. They spreading another lie about her now.. She doesn't leave the house. I cant even get her to go to the shop on her own. I've asked my older daughter to speak to her and she can't even get to the bottom of it. She said that she noticed a mark on her wrist, like a self harm. So I'm really worried if I don't move her she will go down that route.

I don't think it helped that my older daughter will be leaving this year to do A levels in another school :(
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

You must be so worried about her!! I know I would be!! Have you seen the headmistress or just head of year!! If not I would go and see her and tell in no uncertain terms that you want this looked into!! It's worrying that she won't even confide in her sister!! You are right girls are absolutely vile!!

My daughter has had her issues although not to this degree but I just said you be as sickly nice as you can to whoever making you feel miserable because they can't say you have been awful and this gets their goat so much cos they know they can't get to you!! To the point where you walk in class and say morning to everybody with a smile on your face!! They soon get bored and move on! I know it's easy to say and she went through a tough time and wanted to leave but it's too late for her now as she year 10!! But it worked she now has another friendship group and has left the others behind and funnily enough they now all smile and chat to her again!! I hope that your daughter has the confidence to try this method!! Is there any close friends of hers that you could approach? :)
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

i know you have tried but i think you need to be firm and see heard of year or headtecher and keep pestering until this is sorted, it happens everywhere and the problem may arise at another school if its not dealt with. I think only when you have exhausted all options at the school can you move elsewhere. Its so awful to see your kids hurting, do the teachers/head know whats going on as this is very serious, they may be able to help her open up or offer a counsellor or staff member she trusts???
kelannhugh

Post by kelannhugh »

Hi

Today my daughter wouldn't go to school again. I have asked the school head of year to phone me. I don't know what else to do. We have had meetings with the school and she goes in for a week and then it starts again not wanting to go in. I have looked into clubs for her to make friends out if school and she still wants to move. She has even said she would rather move to her dads in north Wales then continue with birkenhead academy. I'm lost at what to do :( xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now