Panicking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mumster

Panicking

Post by mumster »

Just been having a browse at the forum and am now in a state of panic! With two months or so to go I'm not certain what we need to be doing. My daughter seems to be getting a lot of homework at the minute so trying to find some spare time in the evening is hard because she's so tired so trying to keep it to over the weekends. Have downloaded the free trial stuff from elevenplusexams and have several sets of the NFER verbal reasoning. Advise please on anything else that we should be doing.
:shock: I've also read on some of the forums not to put 2 grammar schools on the preference form. First choice is Wirral Girls and our second choice would be Upton Hall with the third being South Wirral.
:roll: Finally any info on Upton Hall would be greatly appreciated - we weren't particularly impressed at the open evening - it seemed to be fairly chaotic (our guides went off and left us, no floor plans so didn't know where we were heading for etc). Although the pupils and teachers we did speak to were lovely. Also does anybody know anything about the reputation of South Wirral, is it a good school etc?
:lol: The first open evening we went to was Wirral Girls and both my daughter and I fell in love with the school and she has set her heart on this despite her dad and I trying to keep it low key.
Sorry for the long post but lots of questions and lots of panicking.
Thanks
Newbie But Stressed

Post by Newbie But Stressed »

Hi Mumster,

I think in the case of Upton and Wirral Grammar which each has it's own exam you have to put down two choices...

Obviously which one you prefer first...

I don't really know what would happen if you put Upton first and passed 11+ for Wirral G. I don't know if the subscriptions will be up this year or not.

Personally I would say

1. If you prefer Wirral G the put it first and Upton Second (at least you have two shots at a good school)

2. Take Both Exams ( Upton is an easier Exam than 11+ )

Put your third choice as the non Grammar school (i.e South Wirral)

I haven't heard anything bad about South Wirral but doesn't mean it isn't bad. Have you checked the League tables on performance, spoke to people who kids attend ? some will give honest opinions..
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Mumster,

With regards to not putting down 2 grammar schools.
It was meant as not 2 LEA run grammars with the LEA 11+ test, meaning if you failed one you would have failed the other too, If you pass and have it as first choice you will get a place so no need for second preference.
From what I know about Upton it’s a controlled school under the catholic faith. That means they can and do set there own entrance exam, so in this instance putting 2 grammars down wouldn't be a bad idea. 1 LEA and 1 Controlled.

With regards to Upton Hall I don't know to much about the school, my friend’s child goes there and seems happy.
If your still unsure about it phone the school and ask if you can come for a look around in the day when the girls are at work.
Also does anybody know anything about the reputation of South Wirral, is it a good school etc?
This was in are preference too. I have lots of friends whose children go here and they absolutely love it. The reputation of the school is great and I think it's becoming a more and more popular choice.

Good luck with everything it’s a difficult time.

AM

Post by Guest »

Hi
Thanks NBS & AM your replies are much appreciated. We're putting her in for both tests for Wirral and Upton so hopefully will give us a good shot at one of them at least. Also thanks AM for the South Wirral, it gives us some peace of mind to hear this.
This is such a hard confusing time ... then such a long wait ... aaarrrrgggghhh ... how do parents cope???? We're (or I!!!) am trying not to make too big a deal but I can't wait for March :shock:
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

This is such a hard confusing time ... then such a long wait ... aaarrrrgggghhh ... how do parents cope???? We're (or I!!!) am trying not to make too big a deal but I can't wait for March
They don't! It is such a difficult time, one I'm glad I'm not repeating.

If all else fails we have a section called rehab were all the potty 11+ parent's congregate

Keep posting though because in the next few weeks you will find plenty of others going through exactly the same feelings and concerns that you have..

Good Luck!

AM

Post by Guest »

If all else fails we have a section called rehab were all the potty 11+ parent's congregate
Is it rea11y safe to go there, Appeal Mum?
What do you mean, potty?
Do they regre55 and never recover?

Please te11 us there is hope.
What do you mean,a11 else fails?

Party Desperado

Post by Guest »

You know what she means LBSWM!

Mods She has escaped AGAIN!!!
mumster

Post by mumster »

LBSWM??? Too many acronyms ... help.
Can somebody point me in the rehab direction ... need it!!! :roll:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Anonymous wrote:Mods She has escaped AGAIN!!!
You scared me here AMWhoWasTryingToAvoidHer100thPost. But she seems to be safely home now. If she escapes again she will have to be sent back home on a mod space ship.
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Mumster,

My daughter is in year 8 at Upton and absolutely loves it. She couldn't wait to get back after the summer holidays!

My daughter took both the Upton exam and the 11+ and passed both although she said the Upton one was much easier. She was offered Upton as this was our first choice on the form.

Her friend from primary school also passed both and put Upton as 1st choice but was offered her 2nd choice of West Kirby Grammar as at the time only 120 places were offered at Upton and she was at 123rd place. They went to appeal and got Upton eventually.

Don't know what happened on the open evening, although they do have year 7's as guides and they hardly know their own way around yet!

Scatshouse
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now