bursary income levels??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rebsto

bursary income levels??

Post by rebsto »

hi, does anyone know if there is a definitive income level for which bursaries are means tested, cant find on website? i know other indies state an amount such as earning between £22 and £50k can apply for bursary, I am trying to find out the maximum amount, thanks
guest42

Re: bursary income levels??

Post by guest42 »

There certainly isn't at BS. Every case is considered individually.
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

oh right, thats good to know, am visiting before end of term so just wanted to have an idea before we go!
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

how can you be certain guest 42??!!!!! have you got interest at BS?!
guest42

Post by guest42 »

No. As you know I have a child at the school and have gone through the bursary process myself. Also it says so on the BS website

"Parents of any child who has been offered a place may apply for a Bursary if they feel that they cannot afford to pay full fees. Bursaries can be of any size, from a small proportion of the fee to 100% of the fee for parents who cannot afford to make any contribution. Inevitably, there are, each year, more applications for Bursaries than can be supported by the Foundation Trust, and decisions are made on the basis of academic potential and family circumstances"

So clearly no hard and fast rule there.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Umm...I suspect you will find that there absolutely is a formula that they work to!! (The bursar has to be able to prove that the school is working fairly and without prejudice, to the governors etc) What they are saying on their website is designed to ensure that no-one is put off from making an application to the school for financial reasons - the bursar would go through any application and it will be very clear where parents can actually afford the fees but just don't want to pay and vice versa. (Parents may "feel" they cannot pay the full fees - but what they may "mean" is that they wish to maintain their current lifestyle/holidays etc, for example!) Children who perform well in any entrance tests will be more attractive to the school and will therefore be considered more favourably for a bursary, if their parents cannot afford the full fees. Rebsto - I am sure we have had this conversation on here before - ring the bursar up and have a chat to him/her. They are always available in advance to discuss options with prospective parents and to give you an idea of whether you would be entitled to anything. Remember, though, bursaries are means tested every year and the amount you get cannot be guaranteed annually by the school - bursaries are literally means tested out of a finite pot - usually any child in an exam year gets priority (to enable them to complete the year). In practice, the bursar tries to maintain any bursaries already awarded but nothing is guaranteed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now