Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:54 am 

Hi All,
I am looking at trying to defer reception for my August born son (so he would start reception at 5 yrs and 3 weeks) I have been told that he would then have to take his 11 plus in year 5 instead of year 6 and would then have to take up a school place if he passed.
Has anyone been in this situation?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:13 pm 

I am sorry I cannot answer your question , maybe ring local authority or grammars and they may be able to help you . 11 plus is standardised to take into account the age of child from sept but not the August before , but would take the August birth into account if your child takes eleven plus with their peers ( does that make sense ?)

If you cannot defer the eleven plus , what about a deferred entry into reception , they could even go part time from the April and then move up with the class

Another option is starting in year one , I think they would have time to catch up , but from year 1 teaching becomes a bit more formal so they might be better doing a short time in reception

My son was born 28th July and started school in the Sept . He has siblings a lot older so I think was ready , but did fall asleep some afternoons ( teachers let him ) , I also picked him up early some afternoons

I did notice that generally the summer born children took longer to pick up reading etc and I think it did effect them throughout juniors , we were lucky in that ds picked up reading easily and is now at grammar school

Hope it works out for you whatever you decide , my April born twins would have benefited from a later start but did catch up

If your child can take 11 plus after a deferred entry I guess you will have no problems