ADVICE PLEASE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pensby

ADVICE PLEASE

Post by Pensby »

As the exam gets nearer is it necessary to do new papers all the time or is just as useful to repeat ones already done.My son is scoring 93+ on Tutors cd's ,papers and Nfer nelson papers,we have a few he's not done yet but not sure whether do re-use one's he did at the beginning ie,upto 6 months ago or to buy new ones.

He seems pretty happy with all types of quetions only really making "silly" mistakes on language type questions.

How much practising are others doing as the exam gets closer,we don't want to do too much or not enough!!

any help appreciated

Pensby :lol:
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

My daughter does about 3 papers a week and yes, she does repeat the papers at appropriate intervals. I normally photocopy te answer sheets 3 times upon opening a new pack (on the advice of her tutor). Just make sure they don't write on the question sheet, or like me you will end up spending half an hour rubbing out workings out!
She is scoring mostly in the nineties but it surprising sometimes when repeating papers she can get answers wrong which she had previously got right! Concentration I guess.
It all seems to be looming fast now.
Good luck to your son. He sounds like he is well prepared.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

This site is a bit addictive don't you think. Either that or I have no life!
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Thanks for the prompt reply!!Yes it is very addictive,where do you want your daughter to go ,mine is in year 9 at West kirby and she loves it.
Wish this site had been available then,she did so much stuff that wasn't relevant,don't want to do the same with my son!

gook luck to her too
Pensby
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

We are hoping for Wirral Grammar but are just over 3 miles away in Oxton so have the added stress of passing the exam AND distance. Daughters school is in Prenton and usually only about a dozen children at most will take the 11+ from her school so this site has been great for info.
She is working hard but like you am trying to keep up the momentum but without going over the top (I hope).
Bebmum

Post by Bebmum »

Have just joined this site and it is so addictive.I have learned so much information about the eleven plus. My daughter is doing about three practise tests a week and at least one question type a day on the Tutors CD. She averages about 82-85% on the tests her best being 91%. She has got her first practise one on Friday in school but she struggles with the vocab questions so really dont know how she will do in test conditions. She has improved so much since she started practising and it is great to see her confidence grow. :)
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Welcome Bebmum,

I think I shall have to up the number of papers to 2 a week!My son is a typical boy who will do the minimum necessary !He is scoring over 93% regularly so he thinks he doesn't need to do any more,I have to keep telling him it's only 7 weeks and it's all over !

I guess you're aiming for Wirral Grammar I hear it's great,we are hoping for Caldy ,already have a daughter at West Kirby in year 9, she loves it!!

My son struggles with the vocab,I thought it was mostly boys,my only advice is to make sur she reads lots,my daughter always read alot and never struggled with vocab,with her it was codes.

he only did one practice paper in school,it was not multiple choice and he said it was years old,though he did okay
.GOOD LUCK to your daughter and keep posting ! :lol:

Pensby
Bebmum

Post by Bebmum »

Thanks Pensby

It sounds like your son is doing really well. Calday is a really good school.

My daughter is really confident with the code questions but is not a keen reader. It is not often she reads by choice though in school her literacy is much stronger than her maths. We will have to start repeating papers soon but we are quickly running out. Especially when she keeps asking to do more.

Good luck to you and your son

Bebmum :)
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Bebmum
What does she like to read ? have you tried

The "Mates,dates" series by Cathy Hopkins
"I was a tennage worrier" by Ros Asquith
Georgia Nicolson Diaries by Louise Rennison

If she's nearer 11 then they are greatly recomended by my daughter,also Jacqueline Wilson and the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snickett

Have you downloded the tutors papers cd,you can repeat that as many times as you want,thats what we will be doing,we 've slso got Nfer papers left to do

hope that might help
Pensby
Bebmum

Post by Bebmum »

Thanks Pensby
I will get these books for her. The only author she likes is Jacqueline Wilson. She was 10 in August so i'm hoping she will find more books that she enjoys this year. She just sees reading as a chore at the moment though she is getting better.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Bebmum :)