Any point in appealing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum122

Any point in appealing

Post by mum122 »

DS did not pass. He scored 110 and 113 so total =223, so he has missed by 13.
He is however dyslexic, and was not given extra time despite an ed phsyc rep that recommends 25%. He does need longer to accurately process information, and will make errors such as transposing a number in the coding due to time pressure and not being able to check.

On top of this VR relies quite a lot on spelling and this is not taken into account. On all the practice papers there were always quite a few questions that involved tricky spellings which were random chance for him.

He is predicted 5’s in maths and science, not sure about English. We have a parents evening soon in school so I can see exactly what is predicted. He did a practice maths paper with his tutor and got a 5b last week.

Is there any point appealing or is he too far from the pass mark. I feel that the VR is very discriminating against dyslexics. :evil:
Drastic Dad

Re: Any point in appealing

Post by Drastic Dad »

Do appeal on medical grounds. There is no harm in trying.
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

Hi , I don't know anything about the appeals procedure but I would say that you have a good case
Why was your child not allowed the extra time. ?
I would post in the appeals section on this forum as someone may be able to help with your particular circumstance
Good luck
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

You must follow this through if he has not been given the extra time and they have not adjusted standardised score because of his dyslexia then you need to contact the authority!! you should not have to wait to appeal if his application and exam time have been compromised!!! Contact your head and definitely the authority! Certainly if you have the educational evidence! Good luck :)
mum122

Post by mum122 »

Appealed successfully. :D :D :D

Grounds for appeal were: he was denied extra time, and unfair reliance on spelling in VR exam.
Backed up with a updated dyslexia report stating he is in the top 8% in ability. Plus prediction of level 6 in maths, along with 5's in Science and English.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Well done mum122!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

[quote="mum122"] and unfair reliance on spelling in VR exam.[/quote

I can't spell for toffee.

I am also a little dyslexic , but I can scan-read and absorb/assimilate, copious amount of information almost instantaneously.

So nice to hear about a fellow dyslexic( and near neighbour) who has been recognised for their potential.

You have made my night , I am sooooo pleased for your child :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

we are not stupid.
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

Congratulations that is great news
Which school is your ds going to go to ?
:D :D :D
mum122

Post by mum122 »

Just a quick update and reassurance for those appealing.
DS is in Calday and doing very well, is in top maths set, and more than just holding his own in all subjects. We were nervous as to how he would do as he got in on appeal. We were concerned that he might struggle with all the bright boys who past first time, but we really did not need to worry. This just proves to us that he is in the right place and we did the right thing by fighting to get him in.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

:D :D :D :D
We are not stupid and dyslexics are some of the most intelligent people that you are ever likely to meet, they just think differently :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now