Help! IA referral by head but after panel has sat

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Proctig

Help! IA referral by head but after panel has sat

Post by Proctig »

Very strange situation. Daughter is working at 5c and has NFER's of 127 and 140. She missed 11plus by 3 marks which was unexpected. I just happened to query with the head why he hadn't referred to IA and he knew nothing about the process!!!

Long story short the LEA is now completing the IA referral by head but after the results have been released. Anyone know what the IA actually look at?

Thanks
Tyra

Re: Help! IA referral by head but after panel has sat

Post by Tyra »

Having been through this process last year believe me it is not an exact science!! The head is basically given a form asking for information with regard to SATs levels reading age and spelling age and NFER scores!! There is a box on the reverse of the sheet which enables head to comment on why they think the child had missed by such a small margin!! There is also a box to comment if there were extenuating circumstances!! Although I believe if at the time of the exam if the child was disturbed in any way or had personal family issues then a letter should be submitted by a certain date.

If there are no extenuating circumstances then there is very little they can write other than to say that it was a big shock to the school certainly if they were expecting the child to pass..

Unfortunately you do not get any chance to put your case forward to the IAB and they do not give you any reason for declining a place!! you just get the big fat NO!!!!

We were very lucky in the fact we had a very supportive head and excellent deputy who I consulted with very closely. I have seen the IAB say no to children who missed by one mark!! My head described it as putting a stake in the ground to start the appeal process!! I also have to mention that do not expect any help or information from the authority!! They are worse than useless and will not give you any information other than the booklet with the "notes to read".

You cannot appeal until the results at beginning of March! It is a long haul and I feel your pain! But read everything you can this website is invaluable. I am extremely surprised that not many Wirral people post on here as the rest of the country is very active on this site!!

Good luck and if you need a sounding block please just message me!! :)
Proctig

Post by Proctig »

Thanks for the information, I feel I have at least some idea what's happening now lol!

I found it surprising that this forum is so quiet (well, for Wirral LEA) too. I will let you know how we get on.

Thanks
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Sorry meant to say you cannot appeal until March 1st or whenever allocation day is!! Not results day! Your letter of appeal together with any supporting information needs to be in by 31st March!! If you can get a good supporting letter from your primary school with relevant information then this is ideal !! Good luck :)
Proctig

Post by Proctig »

This is where it gets bizarre. The IA referral that should have been done last week before we had our results, is actually being done right now (via email to all panel members) due to the fact that the head made an error in not understanding the process. Sorry, probably should have made that clearer. I know it's not standard process and quite surprised the LEA are doing it seeing as they are usually less than helpful! LEA had hoped to have results to us by Friday but didn't get all the responses back from the panel members.
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Hiya, have you received your IAB results yet? Yes it would not be standard practice as they are normally done before results issued but in your case your daughter has not had the correct procedure followed so they probably covering themselves which is good news.

Although it's very disturbing that your head does not know the correct procedure. I hope you get news you wanted but if they do not approve it don't despair! Three marks is very close and if you have good SATs results and current working levels then I would have thought that as long as you not fighting oversubscription you stand a very good chance at appeal.

Do you know if it is a low birth rate year and whether many have passed?
Proctig

Post by Proctig »

Hi

Sorry for the late response, it took them until 07/11/14 to get back to us and happy to say it was good news! They have ruled reached grammar status. Apparently high birth rate year with high percentage of passes.

I'm so concerned over the heads complete lack of understanding of the process. I suppose at least he knows now.

Thanks
AnnaE

Post by AnnaE »

Congratulations on your good news you must be very happy. I just wondered how you found out it was a high birth rate year with high number of passes. We were informed by the head at Calday on the open evening that the birth rate on the Wirral was falling and not enough children in catchment to fill the spaces available? :?