Prep School In Wirral

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

J8NJY

Prep School In Wirral

Post by J8NJY »

My son is turning 3 and we are still deciding which prep school to send him to in Wirral;
Avalon - West Kirkby
Prenton Prep - Oxton
Birkenhead School - Birkenhead

Our aim is for him to be able to pass the 11+ exams and get into any grammar school in the area.

Has anyone got any input or past experience on these schools? I know Avalon and Prenton Prep does prep you for 11+ exams from Year 4 but I'm not very sure if Birkenhead School does as it has a Senior School attached to it.

Any feedback are welcome. Many thanks
guest42

Re: Prep School In Wirral

Post by guest42 »

Hi. You are basically correct in your understanding. Avalon and Prenton Prep are both very effective as private feeders into the Grammar schools. Typically they get close to 100% through.

Although some people do use Birkenhead Prep in that way, it is basically a through 3-18 school and the (growing) emphasis is on continuation into their Senior School rather than preping for the 11+. It is worth pointing out that Birkenhead does typically get better results at GCSE and A levels than the Grammar Schools (particular the boys' ones)

Other differences-well Avalon and Prenton are much smaller than Birkenhead. Birkenhead is essentially a public school rather than an independent; if you appreciate the difference.

Just a couple of other points; Birkenhead School is as much in Oxton as Prenton Prep is. West Kirby has one k (Kirkby is in Liverpool!) and you might also want to look into Kingsmead in Hoylake and Redcourt in Oxton (feeder into the Catholic grammar schools).
GUEST3923

Post by GUEST3923 »

I am coming to the end of 10 years experience of two of the prep schools -won't name names - and I would say it depends on a few things.

If you are happy to pay the fees I would look at all the schools and see how you feel about them. No matter what opinions other people have you have to be happy with your choice and only you know if your son could be happy there. All the schools should let your son spend a day / half day with them with no obligation on your part - you shouldn't get any "hard sell".

Birkenhead Prep doesn't prepare for 11+ as they want you to continue on to the Senior School.

Consider travelling distance if one is closer to home that would make life a lot easier believe me.

Another option you have is if you are near to a good state school then send your son there and tutor for the 11+.

I could go on (an on) but don't want to bore you. :lol: Hope this has helped a little, I remember well the pressure of wanting to do make the right decision.
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

If you want to send your child to a prep school for the smaller classes etc then do , but they do not need to go for prep for Wirral 11 plus .

I honestly think a few months prep either with yourself or a tutor ( depending on preference ) will suffice for the type of child that will do well at grammar

Sorry can't advise on the actual prep schools

Good luck with your decision :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now