Primary/Prep Advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Becks845

Primary/Prep Advice

Post by Becks845 »

Due to work, my family is relocating from Wiltshire to the Hoylake/West Kirby area at Easter next year. The timing however, is pretty bad. Our son is due to start school next September and, as we won't be living in the area before the primary application cut-off date, it means that his is highly unlikely to get any of our preferred choices (Our Lady of Pity, St Bridget's) as the LA informed me they are over-subscribed. He will simply be placed wherever there is a space at the time.

Up until recently, we hadn't seriously considered independent primary schools for our son, as we have the luxury of being catchment for several excellent schools where we are currently. However, having weighed up the options and not wanting to take any chances amid the upheaval, we have decided to look at the prep schools in West Kirby/Wirral areas. The two obvious choices are Avalon and Kingsmead. I wonder if anyone would be able to offer any advice about these two schools please? Other recommendations would also be welcome.

I should add that, if we thought it was a suitable route for them, we would like our children to sit the 11+ for secondary. But who knows what will be best for them in 6 years time!!!

Sorry for the long-winded post. Any guidance would be most appreciated!
guest42

Re: Primary/Prep Advice

Post by guest42 »

Hi. Avalon is a good feeder into the Grammar Schools, with pass rates approaching 100%.

Kingsmead is more of an all-through school but it finishes at 16 and so there is still a requirement to move on. Until recently it had boarders and has the reputation of being geared a little at those children who need a little extra help.

The other option is Birkenhead Prep, which feeds into Birkenhead School. This is the local HMC public school and unlike the Grammar Schools is co-ed. http://www.birkenheadschool.co.uk/welcome-prep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Becks845

Re: Primary/Prep Advice

Post by Becks845 »

Thank you for the advice - it's much appreciated. After viewing schools, we plumped for Avalon, which seems like a fantastic little school.

Bad timing, but hopefully it will all work out for the best for our children!