Upton Hall entrance exam/pass mark query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MummyS

Upton Hall entrance exam/pass mark query

Post by MummyS »

Hello, please can anyone help a worried mum?
I am told the pass mark for Upton Hall is 236, consisting of 2X 50min exams. Does the 'standardised score' basically mean that if for this year the average score is 80% then this is 100 points per paper, and anything over 80% will be more than 100points? Not a very accurate way of looking at it, but trying to understand the points system.
Also, do they provide any example papers?
Just trying desperately to understand what my current Yr5 daughter is up against.
Thank you so much for any help!
scary mum

Re: Upton Hall entrance exam/pass mark query

Post by scary mum »

I don't know about this particular school, but here is an explanation of standardised scores:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
MummyS

Post by MummyS »

Thank you, that was very helpful. Unfortunately, as my daughter will be 10yrs and 9 mths old when she takes the test, their example seems to say she will have to get over 90% right to get the minimum standardised points! Oh dear! Thank you, anyway, very helpful.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MummyS wrote:Thank you, that was very helpful. Unfortunately, as my daughter will be 10yrs and 9 mths old when she takes the test, their example seems to say she will have to get over 90% right to get the minimum standardised points! Oh dear! Thank you, anyway, very helpful.

The standardised score 'ranking' relates to where your child kids relative to other children and makes no reference to the raw score achieved (other than, a higher standardised score indicates a higher raw score when looking at two scores in the same age group). So a standardised score of 100 represents the mean raw score for that group, be it 50% or 90%; all the other scores relate to that. A standardised score of 115 represents one standard deviation above the mean and about 34% of the children taking the test will have a score within this range. So a score of 115 means that the child has done better than about 84% (the 50% whose raw score was below the mean, plus the 34% from 100 to 115) - not that said child has (necessarily) scored 84% in the exam. If it was a tough test, this standardised score may represent a raw score of, say, 60%. The actual figures for each exam will vary with the level of the test and the abilities of the actual cohort taking it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now