Supporting information for IAB question, advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Adrestia

Supporting information for IAB question, advice please

Post by Adrestia »

Hi, My DD and me are both heartbroken that she has missed the pass mark by just 1 mark! She is amazing at verbal reasoning and comprehension but missed some of the maths questions. Her reading age at 9 was 12 years 6 months and our parents evening where I can get her new levels is next week.

The school are adamant that information re scores and was not received through the post and therefore they have not offered info to the Independant Assessment board. They will consider further information now, if it is provided. I would like to write my own supporting letter also. Do you think that this would be accepted? Is there any advice regarding what types of evidence the school could they provide? There are extenuating circumstances also and as it's one mark and her verbal reasoning is so strong, I feel that we need to make a good case for a review.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Beacherlover1

Re: Supporting information for IAB question, advice please

Post by Beacherlover1 »

Wirral schools have been directed that they should only give academic levels/grades as evidence. A good piece of evidence to provide is an NVIQ test score- a score of over 117 is considered favourable. They could also provide results of any verbal reasoning/non verbal reasoning tests they have carried out.
Beacherlover1

Post by Beacherlover1 »

Oh sorry just seen on the other post you are Cheshire not Wirral. But the tests scores will still be useful evidence X.
Adrestia

Post by Adrestia »

Thank you. I will see the HT again in Monday and hopefully all this information can be collated. We only have until 31st Oct to submit the preference form so hopefully a decision can be made very soon. I feel that circumstances have impacted and we did familiarisation through using books at home rather than tutoring. She is a naturally bright girl and itis a blow to her confidence knowing that she has missed by such a narrow margin! Everything crossed! Thanks for your advice X
lambanana

Post by lambanana »

Think its worth a try if she wants to go to a grammar school - nothing to lose as so close, and my understanding is the grammar school heads meet with heads of primary schools in a borderline situation to discuss who would benefit the most from places. what's the worst that could happen? - you are not any worse off - depends how much she wants it, I would go for it in those circumstances. Read the specific appeal guidance for your area too about how decisions and late appeals are made, I think on the Wirral anyone is able to apply to a grammar school for a late place, even if they didnt put grammar school down the first round? Good luck and well done, that's a very good score anyway!