Coaching Plan

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Hi Appeal Mum,

Thanks for your reply.

Are these practice papers exactly the same format as those used in the real exams and if so is it possible to get hold of copies or at least find out about the format?

For the real exam I understand that:

i) 2 separate verbal reasoning multiple choice papers are taken.
ii) Each paper has 80 questions to be completed in 50 minutes.
iii) The 2 papers between them include the 21 different types of question.
iv) The style of each paper is the same as that in the 4 verbal reasoning multiple choice familiarization tests published by nferNelson. However there are only 15 types of question covered by the NferNelson familiarization test papers and each paper has 85 questions.

All that is helpful, but it would be nice to know if anything else is known about the format of the real tests.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Cyberbird,

Yes these practice papers are exactly the same as the real tests in format.

You can't buy these papers and for all we know the same practice papers are used every year.

Most schools collect these in and don't even mark them, so you never really gain anything from them; except what NFER call "familiarisation."

Some parents did receive the practice papers, but it was by no means the "Norm."
I will ask around and see if I can get hold of a practice paper.

You’re right to say NFER doesn't cover all question types that will be covered in the actual exam, but there are enough materials on the market now to be able to cover all 21 questions types.
Patricia and Mike may disagree on the order in which to do the papers, but both know what materials are best to use and are both excellent at what they do.

AM
cyberbird

Post by cyberbird »

Appeal Mum wrote: I will ask around and see if I can get hold of a practice paper.
AM
Thanks! Let me know if you get hold of one.

I get emails if you post to this thread or I receive a PM.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Cyberbird

As a compromise with Patricia, I would suggest that you still complete the 15 type NFER papers after you have covered all 15 question types. Then, after covering the additional 6 question types and whichever range of 21 question type papers, complete the NFER papers again as a casual exercise to familiarise the student with the format, layout, of a typical NFER question paper and answer sheet.

As you are aware Wirral tests comprise two papers of 80 question each and cover 21 question types. The NFER practice papers, that are available to buy contain 85 questions and cover 15 types. This makes them unsuitable practice material for the full Wirral question sets.

The only papers NFER produce that are suitable for Wirral are those contained within the familiarisation packs that are either covered during the preparation period available to children within their school or are sent directly to out of area children.

You also need to be aware that the 21 question types are covered over 2 papers and are not all contained within one paper. Therefore if you only have access to one paper you will only be covering 11 or 12 question types.

Regards

Mike
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Cyberbird,

I have managed to get a hold of a familiarisation pack for you.

I will photocopy it and post it to you if you PM me your address.

Take care..

AM
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi there

Can anyone tell me am I right in saying that when taking the actual tests the children are allowed to scribble /work out etc on the question paper and do they get any rough paper to use??

Mel
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Mel X,

This year the children were allowed to scribble/work out on the question paper. I would imagine it to be the same for the next one.

Scatshouse.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Mel,

I moved your post to Bucks as Wirral has different 11+ rules to your county.

It would be best answered in the relevant area to you.

I was supposed to leave a shadow post for you to follow, sorry. :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now