Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Appeal for Wirral Girls
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:49 am 

Anyone appealing for Wirral Girls? Just a bit of useful information - that you may already be aware of..

In the appeal notificationyou will have received a purple slip stating that the Independent Appeals Panel can not overturn the outcome of the Independent Assessment Panel - which is what happens if your child is borderline - missess 11+ by a few points. This is based, so the LEA say, on a newly published Code of Practice for school appeals which came into force on March 1st.

I have raised this with local MP who is taking it to relevant departments in Whitehall for 2 main reasons.

1. They should not modify a process midway through - they should have either implemented it in Sept 2007 - or leave until Sept 2008 - not do it midway through the school allocation process.

2. It specifically mentions in the Code of Practice that independent assessments (or anything else for that matter) does not take away your statutory right to appeal.

On this latter point the Wirral LEA have made I think a significant problem for themselves and could open themselves to legal cghallenges about how theyrun the process....

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:36 pm 

Sorry but there is no point appealing because Wirral's oversubscribed so even is you got borderline there's not much chance to get into Wirral

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:23 pm 

Hi notatallstressed,

My son has been allocated Wirral Boys but we have now changed his allocation to Calday, so for seven days, until they receive his acceptance of the place at Calday which is in the post, we actually hold a place at both. Once Pupil Services receive our acceptance of the place at Calday there will then be a free space at Wirral Boys.

There may be other people in the same position for the girl's schools, in which case a place will become available.

Scatshouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:28 pm 

I agree Scatshouse,
I have heard of people taking a place at West Kirby and Birkenhead High in place of Wirral Grammar for Girls so there is hope.

Post subject: Ditched the Grammar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:08 pm 

Yep
A young lady in my son's class passed but still opted for Birkenhead High which was her 2nd choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:38 am 

Yes I know Wirral are oversubscribed. I understand they have around 70 people appealing!!!!! Anyone local who has passed can of course blame the HEAD as this year she has marketed the school far and wide so has attracted more applicants than usual....

West Kirkby has quite a few spaces - although you have to get there....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:32 am 

Just so anyone reading this doesn't get to disheartened, although over subscribed a handful of places are available for appeals at WGB/G.

AM

Post subject: Appeal today
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:44 pm 

Today had our appeal for wirral girls. They said they were fully subscirbed and still had 12 people on the waiting list. A few parents were very disheartend and questioned whether to go ahead with the appeal!

Why dont they tell you how many appeal places there are?
Anyway so glad its over!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:55 pm 

You have to remeber that the appeal is independent. The school representative (governor) will always say they are full - waiting list etc - if you can make a convincing enough case to the independent panel then they will overturn school decision...