Twelve Plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MrsC

Twelve Plus - Has anyone got any experience / info?

Post by MrsC »

Hi all, I have tried ringing Wirral LEA but they dont seem to be able to tell me anything about the 12 plus at all :cry:

My son took the 11+ but missed the mark by 12 points. His school were not contacted to review his work but he asked me not to appeal for him as he did his best and didnt want to struggle through school if he wasnt up to it. (He didnt attend a primary school that take the test he asked to do it himself)

He has started a local comp school and he is totally thriving in every area he is even year 7 captain but he is so unhappy. He isnt at all challenged by the work and is teased for being a swot so he really wants to try his 12+ but I just dont seem to be able to find any info.

Sorry its a long one but any help at all would be brilliant as its keeping me up all night worrying :oops:
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

I don't know if the situation is the same in every area, but I've read that to do the 12+ the child needs to have achieved at least two level 5s in the year 6 SATS and to have the support of the head teacher of the current school. As I say, this is info I've picked up from this site, but I don't know which area, and I can't remember reading anything about the 12+ on the Wirral.

Would it be an idea to ring the grammar school to ask them about the procedure?
MrsC

Post by MrsC »

Thank you so much for your reply

He acheived 3 level 5's in his Sat's so that should be fine. The current school do not have a fixed parents evening until next April!!!! But I am thinking that I might need to try and arrange something with them

I have called the Grammar school but admissions are not available today but they will be calling me back next week I am just so worried that he will stop trying as he said that the teasing is really upsetting him now :cry:
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi
I don't know if it helps but I know a boy who failed by 4 marks and went to Pensby High a few years ago was asked by the head if he wanted to sit the 12+ because he was doing so well.
He declined but maybe this suggests you should contatct the head or at least head of year for advice.
Pensby :lol:
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Don't know what school you're aiming for, but Calday will have places still for 12+ children following problems with appeal process earlier this year.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi MrsC

I think that the 12+ on the Wirral is administered by the Grammar schools not the LEA, so contact the school secretary of the school you wish to apply for, they may be more helpful.

Regards

Mike