grammar school places

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

michelle

grammar school places

Post by michelle »

I attended a school open evening and the headmistress informed us that they also look at other aspects of the child before offering a place at their grammar school. Does anyone know what these other aspects are. Is it the childs sats results or do they just contact the school and discuss the child's general abilities with the year 6 head.
wirral_wombat

Post by wirral_wombat »

I assume you are referring to West Kirby GS here? I cannot see what the Head is referring to, apart from the situation where a child is referred to the Independent Assessment Board. You will find info about this in the admissions booklet under "Assessment arrangements for community and foundation grammar schools". Basically once the 11+ results are available to the LEA (from NfER), these are sent to primary Heads who can say if they think the test result does not reflect the child's abiltiy - in other words if the child has a much lower (or presumably higher) score than might have been expected from what they know of the child. If this is the case, the child's case can be referred to the assessment board who may decide that the child has reached the grammar school standard even of they did not have the required score. Grammar school heads form part of this board. Apart from these cases, the test results would not even be known to the head until the LEA sends them a list of children who are being offered places - for the 2 Girls' Grammar Schools it is the LEA who offers places, not the school itself. Therefore I don't think you should worry at all about this as it is not something which you can do anything about. I hope this helps - you could always contact the school or LEA and ask for clarification from them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now