Walsh papers for verbal reasoning

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ritz667

Walsh papers for verbal reasoning

Post by ritz667 »

starting to panic as my ds only got 82% on a Walsh verbal paper done within time any tips on how to improve thus score please

Ritz667
Daogroupie

Re: Walsh papers for verbal reasoning

Post by Daogroupie »

What school are you going for? This will all depend on the ones he is getting wrong. Is the same ones each time? You should really be shaving off time from the allocated time by now if he is in Y5.

Did you do the Sutton Mocks? The result for that in proper exam conditions is so much more relevant than anything you do at home.

I see you have a son at QE. Which school are you doing Walsh VR for? Latymer, DAO and SW Herts Consortium are all CEM and QE does not do VR. DG
ritz667

Post by ritz667 »

Sorry for the late reply

We are preparing for the Mill Hill Exam which I understand the first paper to be verbal mutiple and thought Walsh was a good start as that is his choice of school

We are also using Susan Daughtrey and will do the GL ones this week

What sort of scores should we be looking to achieve to get into the top tier ?

Thanks in advance
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes it is. I would also recommend Athey and IPS and the Tutors and First Past the Post, all available from the forum shop.

I know of 18 students who got through to the second round last year, the last mark to get through was 129 out of 141.

What other exams are you sitting? Unfortunately, as so many students use Mill Hill County as a mock for September state selectives and January private schools, many students who want to go to the school may well get knocked out in the first round.

They take the top 240 through out of over 1000 so the pass mark could well be higher this year.

The big mistake students make with this exam is to not read the questions properly and find them easy. They rush through and then sit there triumphantly doing nothing. They are then very upset and surprised when they do not get a high enough mark for the second round. There are threads on here about this if you do a search on Mill Hill. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now