Difficulty of different practice papers advice please

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hogwarts

Difficulty of different practice papers advice please

Post by hogwarts »

My child is about to take a late test, and I am querying the difficulty of the papers we have been practicing with, if anyone can advise me please?
Order of difficulty from easiest papers, Nfer Nelson, then The Tutors then Bright Sparks. In fact, scoring 95%+ on the former 2 papers down to 75% on the Bright Sparks hardest ones. I dont think 75% would gain him entry, so bit worried. Wondered if they are known to be more difficult or if he should concentrate on the BS papers now-only got 1 week so dont want to demoralize him!

He has had around 5 weeks to prepare for a 21 type Verbal Reasoning exam, so will let you know how he does, I have had some great advice here thanks for all.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Hogwarts

The Tutors full papers 1-12 are a very good resource for the middle range of difficulty, stepping up to Bright Sparks and Walsh.

With regard to Nfer, they only contain 15 types of questions. [Types HIKNOS are missing as identified by IPS] Therefore ensure you practice these types whilst completing Nfer tests.

When I proceed from the Tutors there is always a dip in marks, due to the increase in difficulty, explain to your child that the drop is to be expected, but to persevere with the Bright Sparks.

Good Luck.

Patricia
hogwarts

Post by hogwarts »

Thanks Patricia, Ive not tried the Walsh papers, I will try and get some of those then. I worked it out wrong too, he is scoring 85% on the BS so not as bad as I thought :wink:
fm

Post by fm »

I tried the Walsh papers last year and the children found them harder than all other types I own so, while you might use them as practice, I wouldn't necessarily take his final score as meaningful.
In fact, in the last week before an exam I tend to avoid letting the children know scores unless they are good.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Hogwarts

I agree with fm that Walsh can be quite hard. For that reason I use them in my session time, a section at a time not for tests.

Be wary that they use brackets in maths types G and I [as identified by IPS] Nfer do not.

Patricia
hogwarts

Post by hogwarts »

Thanks, yes I will bear that in mind for the scoring.I bought some today as we've finished the last BS test tonight-its a nerve-wracking week this week before exam lark isnt it, for me that is, not him! :roll:
hogwarts

passed!

Post by hogwarts »

Good news, he did it! Very very happy, many thanks to everyone here for keeping me up-to-date with what to expect. He starts Calday in September!!!!!yay!
toy

Post by toy »

Could someone please explain the difference between susan daughtrey's verbal reasoning multiple choices pack 1 and 2 and the bright sparks series. I've got the 2006 edition and checking the isbn nos., they are exactly same as the bright sparks book 1 and 2. Are these books different in any way?
Thanks
toy

Post by toy »

Could someone please let me know if there is any difference between susan's vr (2006 edition) and bright's spark vr (2004 edition). Thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

toy wrote:Could someone please explain the difference between susan daughtrey's verbal reasoning multiple choices pack 1 and 2 and the bright sparks series. I've got the 2006 edition and checking the isbn nos., they are exactly same as the bright sparks book 1 and 2. Are these books different in any way?
Thanks
Dear Toy

Do these packs 1 and 2 say Bright sparks on them?

The only tests that I am aware of are:

1] Graded tests, which come in 2 books and are in standard form, using 35 plus types of questions.

2] Bright sparks are packed inside a folder. There are 4 folders with 4 tests in each. 2 of the folders are in standard form, the other 2 are Multiple Choice.

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now