Herts VR tests - 100 questions in 45 minutes

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stig

Herts VR tests - 100 questions in 45 minutes

Post by Stig »

I believe (from the Herts forum) that their VR test is 100 questions in 45 minutes. None of the NFER familiarisation papers ask for so many question in such a short period.

Can my child expect the questions to be less complex that the familiarisation ones? I know there tends to be some types of questions that always takes longer (codes etc). Ca we expect to see fewer of these?

Does anyone else have experience of these 100 question papers?

Post by Guest »

My son recently took an 85 question test set by NFER with 45 mins allowed. He felt it was similar to NFER/IPS multiple choice with only two code sections one being sequences AB, CD, DE,.... the other questions 80-85 being type N three codes four words.

The only question type that was new was odd word out from a list of five. He felt the test was more about speed and accuracy than hard questions.

Everybody else is in the same boat, good luck.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Stig

Vr tests always used to be 100 questions 45/50 minutes.

When multiple choice was introduced [ ie sparate marking sheet ] the questions were reduced to 80/85...it takes extra time to work out answer then transfer that answer to an answer sheet.

If the test is standard form, they sometimes still incorporate some multiple choice, but the answer is written on the same booklet.

You could try Susan Daughtrey books 6 and 7 they use 100 questions in 50 minutes, cut the time down to 45 minutes to mirror your exam. I am sure there are other publishers that use 100 question tests.....has the Herts section mentioned any?

Patricia
Stig

re:

Post by Stig »

Thanks for rthe replies.

My son sits the tests on Saturday and I'm not sure now is the best time to start giving him new papers.

He has been practicing with the NFER ones which have 85 questions (I believe they use NFER in our area - Watford Boys / Parmiters).

I have told him to expect 100 questions on the day and that all the kids will be in the same boat.

I really don't want to try to get him to do more lenghty practice papers this week - I really want him to relax and be fresh for the W/E. And to be honest most of the questions he can do really fast - he just finds the codes troublesome and he knows to do those last.

Post by Guest »

Secondary selection portfolia by Athey Educational do 100 questions in 45 minutes, there are 3 packs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now