Suggested high level VR papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
um

Suggested high level VR papers

Post by um »

I've looked through the forum and seen discussions on Bright Sparks Papers and Walsh papers.
The only place I can find these, is on Amazon, and there are no reviews, no blurb and no facility to look in the book so I'm really not sure which ones I should buy.

My son in YR 5 has been working through Nelson Thornes Verbal reasoning course, usually gets 100%. He's also been doing some of the Bond 'More fourth papers in VR' and usually gets 90%ish.
He recently sat a recent Mock exam and came out with VR as his weakest subject (26/36).

The Grammar school exam in our area (Birmingham) is extremely difficult and I want to reflect this in the practice he does.

Are there any particular books you could suggest?
Amazon is selling a few different books from Susan Doughtry, Bright Sparks VR and from Mary Walsh. Its difficult to know which to buy so any replies from someone who has seen these books or has experience would be really appreciated.

Thanks
boltew

Post by boltew »

I bought DS the Walsh VR papers and I'd say they're pretty tough questions and certainly worth doing.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Um

Firstly is your area using the 21 types of VR by Nfer? Bond is not relevant to the 21 type exams.

Both Bright Sparks and Walsh are at the higher end of the difficulty market. Walsh uses brackets in 2 types of maths questions [types G and I as identified by IPS] Nfer do not.

This site also sells these products.

Patricia
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

My DS found Walsh to be the most difficult out of all the practice papers he did-he got his lowest ever marks on them in fact.

GM
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

Susan Daughtry papers and AFN Papers are fairly challenging, more so than Bond.

hope this helps
cleo

Post by cleo »

Patricia, are the bond 11+ test papers any good if the school is using NFER to set the test?. I have just bought the pack last week. Even if it does not contain all the question; would it still not benefit to use them as practice papers. I t seems a shame to waste them now that i have got the pack. I have also order the Bright Spark and an ISP pack, hopefully they will come by next week.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Cleo

If you have not used the Bond books, take/send them back for a refund/exchange. Most good shops will at least give you an exchange product.

Bond cover 50 types of questions of which only 17 are relevant to Nfer [4 are missing] I firmly believe that the 11 plus is 'stressful' enough for 9/10 year old children, therefore, as a tutor I would never teach/include so many types that are irrelevant.

There are a number of products that will cover the 21 types: IPS, Bright Sparks, THe Tutors, Walsh, Madeliene Guyon.

Good Luck

Patricia
cleo

Post by cleo »

Patricia, thanks for your reply but I have nlot bought the books. It is only the pack of four test papers, however I will try at take it back.

Thanks.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

My DS has done all the NFER packs, Bond books and his results vary. We are trying for the Birmingham KE Grammars aswell as BV and QM. Are the Walsh and Susan ... and Bright sparks relevant to these?? I am looking for unfamiliar material to use to set under exam conditions inorder to improve his exam technique.

FTM
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

We've gone through the first set of Susan Daughtrey papers and I would say they are harder than Nfer. The questions don't appear to me to be much harder, but my son seemed to be having difficulty finishing the tests in time. He could get most of the questions right but, in a real test would have had to guess the last few. We went back to Nfer recently as I'd kept aside a couple of papers to do nearer the real test. He rattled off paper B and got about 88% in about half an hour.

But I would say that Susan Daughtrey papers do appear to be very similar to the Nfer papers so they're a good source of additional material.