Type 8

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ggd

Type 8

Post by ggd »

My DS has a good vocabulary but is struggling with some of the type 8 questions. Some of the words seem a bit obscure for a 11 year old. Is there anywhere I can get a good list of words he should learn?
:?
Complete Novice

Post by Complete Novice »

I think the AE Tuition Spelling and Vocab books are good. You probably would only need to start at about book 8/9 and they go up to book 12. Also Schonell 's Essential Spelling Books 2 and 3 are a good source of vocab. The New First Aid in English is excellent with sections on Homophones and Antonyms as well as lists of vegetables/birds/fish etc.

I'm not sure when your DS is sitting the exam but by imparting vocab at every opportunity, you can expand their vocabulary immensely over the course of a year. It is hard work and inclined to drive you slightly mad speaking in multiple synonyms but it does work! Whenever your DC learns a new word, make sure you discuss other synonyms for this word as well as their opposites. If it is a verb,for example explore whether it might also have other forms eg to explore - verb and exploration - abstract noun; to ridicule used as a verb and ridicule as a noun etc etc and etc!!

Good luck!
CN
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now