Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

These are new questions Ang's mom
Impossible is Nothing.
committed

Post by committed »

I have the new papers and they are new questions, but I do have a query on the VR papers. Unlike previous versions these split the VR papers into segments with the different question types (so you'll have 6 'find the 4 letter word' questions followed by 6 'insert the 3 letter' ones etc...)

I am wondering whether this is the format followed in the actual exam or whether they will all be mixed?

Many thanks

C.
committed

Post by committed »

Ignore my previous message.... looking at the old papers they are grouped.... Just losing it!!
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Thanks sherry_d :)
I have finally got them.
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

The ISBN numbers posted earlier are for the Multi-choice papers - these are the ones for standard q's:

VR: 1844192415
NVR: 1844192423
Math: 1844192431

Again, these are all available on Amazon. Hope this saves someone time searching... Many better things to be doing on a bank holiday! :lol:
www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wsTgV6X/weight.png[/img]
TBB

Re: new 11+ papers??

Post by TBB »

For parents of children due to sit Kent Test: I believe that, although the new Letts practice paper packs have the same illustration on the front cover as the old Nfer Nelson packs and might provide useful practice, these new papers might not reflect the appearance of the Kent test papers! Kent test and the Nfer-Nelson papers are printed with 2 columns per page format. Nfer-Nelson answering sheets are also very close to the Kent Test style. So, if you want to provide practice as close as possible to Kent Test style/format, use the older packs published by NFER-NELSON, or the later NFER-NELSON/GL Assessment packs (GL Assessment bought out Nfer-Nelson). They will have the words “Created by the real 11+ test publishers” on the front cover (see GL Assessment website). Incidentally, for Kent, just buy the Nfer Nelson 11 plus Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers Multiple Choice (4 tests), Nfer Nelson 11 plus Mathematics Practice Papers Multiple Choice (4 tests), and Nfer Nelson 11 plus Non-Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers Multiple Choice (4 tests). You won’t need the Variety Packs as they contain English papers, which will not form part of the test.
Razzy

Post by Razzy »

Hi All - joining this thread rather late. Thanks for the references for material and its [likely] relevance to the actual tests.

A point I would like to add is that I have a concern about an aspect of the Letts Verbal Reasoning papers (see "Type 17 (Complete the Sum) and BODMAS").

In summary the Letts VR paper I bought (Variety Pack 1 - ISBN 978-1-84419-252-6) had questions that would confuse anyone who was aware of the BODMAS rules - to get the answer right you had to disregard them, and evaluate strictly left-to-right.

[The discussion on the other thread indicated that other suppliers were careful to set questions that were unambiguous].

Letts, and the author of the paper, maintain that their approach is correct for a Verbal Reasoning paper - but have said they would look into my point that this discriminates against a pupil aware of BODMAS who would consider this the logical approach to evaluating this type of question.

[Update 12-Aug-2010 - Letts have developed a correction to the questions concerned, they even sent me PDFs of the corrected paper. Not sure when that will reach the distribution channels. Anyhow kudos to Letts for stepping up to the mark and putting things right.]

I would be interested in hearing whether other VR papers have instances of this issue.

In the meantime I would urge people to be careful in selecting practice papers.
Last edited by Razzy on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

What is the right practice papers for Medway Test? Does medway uses NFER GL as well?