Practice exercises for specific question types

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummytroubles

Practice exercises for specific question types

Post by mummytroubles »

There are about 5 question types that my DD takes ages over - mainly codes but also forming the word in the middle in brackets. She knows the technique for these but what she needs is practice, practice, practice until they are like second nature. Running through whole papers isn't what I'm looking for and anyway I've got the whole papers lined up for her to do as timed papers between now and the real thing.

Are there any resources for lots of practice examples for specific question types? I have the Tutors CD from when my DS did the test a couple of years ago so we've done that but really I need about 50 examples of each question type she needs practice on - and at the right level of difficulty so with respect IPS isn't quite hard enough at this stage.

Any thoughts?
Minesatea

Re: Practice exercises for specific question types

Post by Minesatea »

There is a web site that offers 1 paper of each type of question for free.

I cant tell you what it is (it would be censored) but google is your friend!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Or you could always pm her.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Me too, please?
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

It even gets censored on the pm's!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

There is an undoubted shortage of questions by type, rather than papers. Any authors out there, please take note!

It is worth remembering though that children very rarely recognise a VR question when it is repeated, other than those involving vocabulary or the Type Zs. Maths and code questions can mostly be re-used within a week or two of having first been set if necessary.
moved

Post by moved »

Which types does she struggle with? I use different techniques for different types. However, if you have been through the Tutors guide on how to help, then you have probably covered all the techniques.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Yesterday I printed various pages from the tutors e-papers and then cut them up into groups of individual question types, this morning we had a twenty question z-type session. :)

The pdf files are copy protected, rightly so, so you can not cut and paste but have to print and cut.

Printed papers can likewise be photocopied for personal use and then cut up.

I seem to spend half an hour a day planning and preparing materials....... :roll:
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

I think Mike and his team should something about it soonest. This will be very helpful for most of tutor fans and customers.