21 question type papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Re: 21 question type papers

Post by moved »

In removing my 5 questions to obtain the 80 found in the test I removed questions 20 and 21 (paper A), which were incorrect using BIDMAS/BODMAS.
committed

Post by committed »

Removing 5 questions sounds like a good plan - and I'll include the questions you mention Moved, thanks for the tip.

We're in Kent and only 5 weeks away from the test, so I'm trying to balance more difficult tests with not jeopardizing the all important confidence...

I'll be glad when it's over, that's for sure :D
moved

Post by moved »

I also removed a question with historic, ancient and antique and a question with trees and forest and fish and shoal/stream. Sorry cannot remember the numbers.
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

OK, I'm confused now (not difficult :wink: ) having read this thread. Our local GS states that the NFER papers for Maths and VR are the ones to buy for practice. They are the ones with the lemur (Maths) and the giraffe (VR) on the front covers from memory.
DS has done one paper from each pack and I want to save the rest until nearer the real exam in late Nov.

Are these papers '21 type' ones, in which case would Bright Sparks be a good filler until nearer the real thing, or would the newer NFER papers be better? He's done the IPS ones already for these subjects. We're at the stage where we're still low key, but I don't want to suddenly realise that it's November and we don't seem to have done anything for ages! He's been doing about a (Bond or IPS) paper a fortnight up to now and is usually achieving well.

Advice please - thank you

Pilchard
patricia

Post by patricia »

pilchard wrote:OK, I'm confused now (not difficult :wink: ) having read this thread. Our local GS states that the NFER papers for Maths and VR are the ones to buy for practice. They are the ones with the lemur (Maths) and the giraffe (VR) on the front covers from memory.
Nfer Nelson [giraffe]VR papers are being phased out, but the tests are identical to the GL Assessment. Letts [ a slightly different giraffe picture ] are not the test providers

The test providers are GL Assessment

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... p?g=f&p=30

Bucks also state shop bought papers are the ones to use, however the real test covers the 21 types and the GL Assesment cover only 15 types. Which area are you applying for?

Bond are not relevant for 21 types of Verbal Reasoning.

21 types:

The Tutors
IPS
Walsh
Madeliene Guyon
Susan Daughtrey [not books 1 7] only her 2 packs of 4 tests.

You may wish to post your query concerning NVR and Maths in the relevant sections, you will probably get a better answer.

Patricia
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

Hi Patricia

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. Our local GS is Colyton Grammar School in Devon. I think from your post that I already have the relevant papers for DS - the multiple choice set for both VR & Maths. As the VR is GL Assessment, are there any other papers that are for the 15 types only? DS will be really pleased to know that there are only 15 types. :D

We used Bond for a gentle build up starting from about 18 months ago (doing this at home), knowing that they weren't the 'right' papers for the real thing, but I reasoned that it couldn't really do any harm. Now I really want him to be doing relevant papers and hope that there are more out there that are the 15 types only. Failing that, could I work out which types are which and remove the superfluous ones from other papers?

Many thanks for your wise words

Pilchard
P.S. I'll try the Maths forum for that paper.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Pilchard

Are you confident that your test is 15 types, the norm is 21, just because the test provider sells tests with 15 types does not mean the real test will be 15.

If only 1 VR test is being completed, the norm will be 12 types taken from the 21 stable, the 12 would vary each year.

Patricia
pilchard

Post by pilchard »

Thanks Patricia

I misunderstood your post - my apologies. I thought that the '15 types in a test' meant that there were only 15 types examinable, not that there would be 15 from a pool of 21.

There is only one VR test, so it looks as though there will be 12 types in the real thing. I'll look at your list of providers and buy one more book to take us up to the GL Assessment past papers that I've already got.

I'm so glad that this will all be over in a few months!!

Best wishes

Pilchard.
patricia

Post by patricia »

The 15 type test bought in the shops by GL Assessment are from a pool of 15 types.

The real test in many areas contain 21 types, if there are 2 VR tests then all 21 will be covered over the 2 tests. If there is one VR test then that will contain approx 12 form the pool of 21.

Patricia
Josa

Post by Josa »

Hi Patricia,

I'm so sorry to be asking you the same question all over again but I'm getting confused reading this post and I think I might have bought the wrong papers. We are in Hertfordshire and cover the 21 types. The exam is set by NFER and I've bought the new Letts papers, reading your post my understanding is that the closest papers to NFER are the GL Assessment test papers, is this correct?

Many thanks
Josa
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now