English as a second language- struggle with vocabulary !

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anowicka

English as a second language- struggle with vocabulary !

Post by anowicka »

Hello

My DD is in year 5 now, so she will sit the exam 2012 . Our problem is that English (she only speaks English at school) is our second language and after checking her knowledge of vocabulary it appears that she really struggles :( I am thinking of purchasing of some VR Bond Assessment or AE Tuition Vocabulary workbooks.

Please could someone advise on them, which are the best to improve her vocabulary?
Please I really need some ideas how I can help her with the problem?

Thank you in advance.
A
muvvalac

Re: English as a second language- struggle with vocabulary

Post by muvvalac »

anowicka wrote:Hello

My DD is in year 5 now, so she will sit the exam 2012 . Our problem is that English (she only speaks English at school) is our second language and after checking her knowledge of vocabulary it appears that she really struggles :( I am thinking of purchasing of some VR Bond Assessment or AE Tuition Vocabulary workbooks.

Please could someone advise on them, which are the best to improve her vocabulary?
Please I really need some ideas how I can help her with the problem?

Thank you in advance.
A
someone quoted 'first aid in english' is good one
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Good vocab definately helps but its not something you can impove on overnight.

I wouldnt worry much about it for VR in Kent. You just have to work with your child's weaknesses as they are types where good vocab isnt required. I made sure my DD was very strong in these areas to compensate for the weakness in vocab type questions. For examble type C, G, P, R, U, and sometime Z dont require good vocab and a child can easily get 100% in these sections. Infact I am tempted in saying good vocab is only required in a few sections of VR paper. Its more about techniques and making sure they grasp them well.

Unless you are aiming for superselctives about 55% is a pass here.
Impossible is Nothing.
Rinette

Post by Rinette »

Hi,
I fully understand as English is also a 2nd language for my son and vocabulary is definitely his weak point (he is in year 5 as well).
Taking the idea from this forum, I have bought a little electronic dictionary (less than £15) as it is much more child-friendly and fun to use comparing to a proper cumbersome paper one and I ask him to have the discipline when reading, 'playing' with VR ect... to check the meaning of the word.
He is doing that since the beginning of the summer, and already we can see a lot of improvement and a rising interest in new, unknown words (which he used to just ignore, blank out, before).
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Hi Rinette

Please could you let me know where can I get one ? please pm.

I think is a good idea as I she really likes such electronic things :D
burcu

Post by burcu »

Rinette, thanks for suggesting an electronic dictionary. Didn't realise they existed so cheaply and so compact. Just bought my DS one - think it will be a great help. Cheers.
moved

Post by moved »

I really liked this book

11+ Crossword Puzzles

Lots of good words in a fun format.

Otherwise lots of reading in English. Listen to English stories on CD, lots of the classics available and very accessible through this medium.

Discuss similarities between your home language and English. We did this a lot with French and English (both when we lived in France and upon our return) and it enriched both languages. Best of luck.
anowicka

Post by anowicka »

Thank you for the suggestion. I think it could be a great help as well as reading. I must buy one. Is it easy to get it from any shop? I looked today at something similar but could see the one call 11+Crossword Puzzles.
Rinette

Post by Rinette »

Thanks for the 11+ Crosswords recommendations moved !

It is true that, having French as our 1st language, I also try to help my son building up parallel between both languages and sometimes - once the child is free of the fright of 'not knowing the word and getting stuck' - it can actually turn to an advantage (eg finding the definition of 'valise' as he recently came across !) . Though I realize it may not be true for all languages...
eliza1604

Post by eliza1604 »

This my sound silly but I think watching tv helps . Specially if you speak at home in other langue. Did work for us as English is also second langue. and having subtitle helps so u see the word and hear it some time my
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now