What is a good result?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

To "guest with daughter in wirral"

Difficult to identify which guest is which, but if your daughter is sitting the 11+ in Wirral and she is currently attempting 100 questions, then I would ask why.

Wirral LEA 11+ tests are based on NFER format 80 questions in 50 minutes, the most recommended practice papers are NFER verbal reasoning multiple choice (they used to be called cornflower blue), they can be purchased from this site, or you can get them from Linghams on Telegraph Road, Heswall.

I would also recommend IPS papers, again available on this site or from Linghams (they had one pack left last week).

IPS papers are excellent for identifying questions by type, but I believe they are formatted for another LEA so they contain questions that do not appear on the NFER familiarization papers. These questions are H, I, K, N, O, S so your daughter will not need to attempt them.

NFER only publish four papers and there is a demand for papers that compliment their format. If you check the E-papers next weekend you should find such papers to download.

Post by Guest »

Hi Mike.
Sorry, all the above guest posts are mine! lol very confusing.

I really dont know why they are giving them 100 questions.
I do also have 4 practice sheets that someone gave me and they also are 100 questions. But they are multiple choice answer sheets. She is doing one of those tomorrow

I hate to sound ignorant but I know nothing of the 11 plus. I have just quickly read your post as I have to go, but are the other papers you talk about going to be harder? And can I get some in say, Smiths?
I was hoping if she is answering 11 in 50 mins maybe the real ones will be easier??

I am told these are familiarisation tests, and they will have 2 mock VR tests next month.
I will try and get some of the papers you mention to try her with. I am a little worried now, as after her getting 92% I was rather pleased. but if she is doing the wrong sort of questions, then she may struggle.

She is at Overchurch School, and they seem very good, I have to say. The head is very motivated, and the school has an excellent reputation and a fair pass rate.

Do you know anything of the entrance exam to Upton hall? That is our first choice. We are churchgoers but not catholic, so catholics get precedence. Then it goes on highest marks. It is VR, but I am waiting for a reply from the head about anything else.

Thanks very much for your info Mike. Much appreciated.
Scuse any typos, I'm rushing! lol
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

You probably have AFN or CGP papers.

The recommended papers for Wirral are NFER, although the Wirral test is 80 questions in 50 minutes, the familiarization packs are 85 questions.

I think this site is a forum for discussion, recommendation and advice, not for promoting ones own business. However, I am 100% certain that the papers have been written to compliment NFER papers!!

Post by Guest »

Sorry, bit lost here Mike.

So the papers she is doing. Are they not terribly helpful then?

Though at least she has a slight advantage in that she is having to answer more than 80 questions.
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

The issue is not completing more questions, but completing more of the right type of questions.

If you get NFER papers and IPS papers you can identify by type which questions appear on NFER papers. Basically IPS type H, I, K, N, O and S type questions do not appear on NFER familiarization papers, all the other types of questions do appear but some in a slightly different format.

If you use that typing format to review other papers you will find that many practice papers contain a greater range of questions than NFER type questions and some papers do not include some NFER type questions.

Post by Guest »

Sorry to sound thick, but I am still a little confused.
So are you saying I should try to buy practise papers which have NFER on them?

Thanks ever so much for your replies and your patience
patricia

nfer/ips

Post by patricia »

The nfer verbal reasoning papers which can be bought in bookshops do not contain a number of questions that appear in the nfer ' real ' tests (as taken in bucks)

The only papers that mimic the 'real' nfer tests taken in bucks are ips , afn and susan daughtrey(bright sparks not her graded papers, books 1-7 )
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

My postings in relation to NFER content is regarding 11+ tests taken in the Wirral LEA.

I believe that IPS papers are written specifically to compliment Bucks LEA as are a number of others.

This highlights the problem of not having a universal test and is a major injustice in the education system of this country.

Why should children in one area of the country have to sit a mix of VR, Non-VR, Maths and English whilst children in other areas just have to sit two VR papers? Even were VR papers are concerned Wirral set two papers of 80 questions to be completed in 50 minutes, whereas another posting on this site has stated that Essex VR are 100 questions in 45 minutes.

Perhaps if parents want their children to have a Grammar education they should consider moving to the Wirral, like parents from Merseyside, Cheshire and North Wales already do.
patricia

Post by patricia »

I know you are in the wirral area, just explaining the bucks system

Agree totally re different 'playing fields' across the country

In bucks we don't have comprehensive schools - you either pass the test and go to a grammar or 'fail' and go to an upper school - hence the 'frenzy' of tuition to ensure your child gets into the 'better school'

Your child either goes to a school with 99-100% gcse pass rate or you send them to a school with a pass rate which can vary between 40 and 60% -

As this system of either a grammar or an upper is in place you have to 'play' the system, I support any kind of tuition whether its done at home by parents or by private tutors(recommendation only) - i cant see how any child can pass a test that has little to do with the national curriculum without some form of coaching ie the teaching of techniques

Post by Guest »

But this just confirms how ludicrous the system is.

You may say move to Wirral Mike, but I know some very clever kids who have failed the exam because unless you go to a private school you are not given coaching.

I have always helped my kids enormously, but the 11 plus is all alien to me.

It should be an exam based on the curriculum.

So do I need to get papers which state NFER on them?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now