What's the difference between the AFN books?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

What's the difference between the AFN books?

Post by Manana »

We are nearing the end of the 9-10 Bond VR which we have been using (not Y5 yet, so I know we have plenty of time) to familiarise DS with the general idea of the 11+. Having discovered this site, however; I realise that Bond is probably not the best thing to use as it doesn't cover all question types. He's not really really for the GL stuff yet though, so I see Patricia has recommended AFN as being one of the easier types of books. I've looked on Amazon and there are lots of different books; can anyone tell me if they are all at the same level or do the books get harder as they go on?

Would this be a good place to start for a Y4 boy?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... %3D4%23b47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... %3D4%23b49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or would something like this be a better next step?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... D23%23b350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks; this forum is wonderful!
sherry_d

Re: What's the difference between the AFN books?

Post by sherry_d »

Which area are you TeacherMum?

Your first link are actual papers and I personally wouldnt start on them yet if your son is still in Y4. Saying that I found those to be the easiest so they would be a good start when you fianally start to do papers.

I havent used walsh but my understanding is that they are hard and people here seem to use them in bits rather than the whole paper. Without knowing where you are its harder to know what to recommend but I would personally stay off doing papers just yet until Year 5. At this stage it helps to develop your DC's vocab and there are some games Yoyo has posted like this http://www.freerice.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that you could use.

Do you have an idea about the type of questions in your area. A good book to start with is Method and techniques by IPS just so you have an idea and perhaps use that as a guide to start on 10-11 Bond??? I found Bond books to have many types that arent relevant for our area so we just worked on what was relevant.
Impossible is Nothing.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Teachermum76

Which area/school are you trying for?

The AFN books are of roughly equal standard.

They use 2 types [of the 21 ] in a different manner. In addition they use 100 questions for each test. There are 2 packs covering tests 1 - 8

Type G [as identified by IPS] the child does not have to revert the answer to a letter.

Type N you crack a code and answer 6 questions [instead of 3]

I never use them as tests, they are used in my weekly sessions towards the beginning of the course. I just plough through them in order over a number of lessons.

The Walsh Beginner book does not keep to the 21 types [although mostly] I have not had the need to use them. You could possibly use them a section at a time like the AFN tests. The harder Walsh tests that Sherry-d has mentioned are different to the book you have quoted, again these would be used as lesson preparation rather than tests.

I agree with sherry-d in that I would be inclined to work on vocabulary and ensuring the 4 maths operations are up to scratch, quick recall.

Patrica
Manana

Post by Manana »

I'm in Essex-we live in Southend, so will be going for WHSB and SHSB.

That's really helpful advice, thank you. He enjoys playing Freerice and he likes filling in blank times table grids to try to better his time which is all good stuff. I have also bought the IPS book, though that was to refresh me than to show him.

Sorry-I must have got confused, I thought the AFN link was a workbook in the style of Bond. There is also a (possibly Letts?) Success 9-10 VR book I have seen-would that be suitable or is it just like Bond. I'd like something in a workbook format, but covering the right sort of questions for the area which Bond don't seem to do?

Thank you so much for your replies :)
patricia

Post by patricia »

My own personal opinion is that if you introduce VR too early the child becomes bored.

My children love the VR practice [intoduced in January of year 5] but by the time the tests are on the horizon in September/October they are becoming blase and a tad fed up. That is based on one hour a week with me and 1 test a week. My mini tests to start off with followed by IPS 50 questions leading up to the 80 question tests.

When parents ring me in order to put their child on my list I always state: do not start any form of VR practice, just read and read and read and ensure confidence in the 4 maths operations.

Patricia
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

patricia wrote:My own personal opinion is that if you introduce VR too early the child becomes bored.
I would echo that too. We started intensively in Year 5 but by the time she got to the exam she had had enough of it. We also did the Sutton Mocks in early June and the score she got in the mock and the final test in sept was very similar yet she worked her socks off after the mocks and during the summer holiday. Point being you can only stretch them to a certain limit and doing too much wouldnt necessarily make them better once they have mastered the techniques.
Impossible is Nothing.