Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Marylou

Ambiguous Type B question?

Post by Marylou »

We encountered this in Tutors paper 3, Q18:

watch clock timer view see

DS chose clock and timer as the odd two out, on the basis that watch, view and see have similar meanings. The published correct answer is view and see, since watch, clock and timer are also similar in meaning. I can see where DS is coming from, though. Should I give him the mark? :wink: :lol:
Marylou
Y

Re: Ambiguous Type B question?

Post by Y »

I would! You can say 'I see a film', 'I watch a film', 'I view a film', and they all mean the same thing. In fact, I would say that this is the better answer, because you can't use a timer to tell the time, but you can use a watch and a clock to tell the time. The actual test should be better tested than these practice tests. Errors like this are great for discussion, and I would make the most of it.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

That sounded familiar, I msut get out more often. :)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... r+view+see" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

stevew61 wrote:That sounded familiar, I msut get out more often. :)

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... r+view+see" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol:

Thanks, both! Glad it wasn't just me. Definitely grounds for discussion! DS saw the connection between watch, clock and timer but because it was the first three words in the set he assumed it was a trap. At least he's thinking along the right lines. :)
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now