Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:16 am 

The answer to 11C Q44 is given as WX. Couldn't it just as easily be AB?
The answer assumes a mirror type logic (same distance in from the left as from the right etc.), but isn't a movement to the left of 2 places (i.e. a -2 movement) just as valid? In which case the answer becomes AB.

How do you know when you are supposed to use mirror logic and when to use incremental movement logic?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:06 am 

If it is multiple choice the answer AB is not present.

If the same question is used for a standard format, it is an error and should not be present as there is more than one answer.

The question is not a true mirror as A is not a mirror Y and B is not a mirror of Z. This question is an inverted mirror whereby the outside letters [ A and Z ]are mirrors and the inside letters [B and Y] are mirrors

I tell all my students to check for mirrors before they start the section. If they find a mirror and the answer is there, use it. If they find a mirror and the answer is not there revert to normal method. This checking takes less than 10 seconds but is worthwhile.

With regard to long codes [type C] my students are told to check the whole section for mirrors before starting but they must check at least 2 pairs of letters. Again this checking takes less than 10 seconds but is a time saver.

Patricia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:21 am 

Excellent answer. Thank you, Patricia.
It is multiple-choice and I forgot to look at the available possible answers. The answers restrict the problem so that it becomes unambiguous.