Level 4 Paper 1 15 minute test

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pushkin

Level 4 Paper 1 15 minute test

Post by Pushkin »

Hi
Please could someone help me out with this question. It was my understanding that the second word in each group is made in exactly the same way for each pair (IPS method and technique book), but this does not seem to fit with this question - or am I missing something??

(ferried ride) (hitches this) (inswing [ ? ] )

1st letter is the 3rd or 4th from the pair or the 3rd letter from the second pair - therefore 3rd letter - s
2nd letter is the 5th letter from first pair or 1st or 5th letter from second pair - therefore 5th letter - i

Then we get stuck ....

3rd letter is the 7th letter of first pair or 2nd letter from second pair - this is where we get stuck as there are no letters in the same place! Answer is N (2nd or 6th letter of inswing)

4th letter is 2nd or 6th of first pair or 7th letter of 2nd pair - Answer is G (7th letter)
Pushkin
patricia

Re: Level 4 Paper 1 15 minute test

Post by patricia »

Dear Pushkin

I agree this is an error, I will inform the programmer.

(ferried ride) (hitches this) (inswing [ ? ] )

1st set of words:

r comes from 3rd and 4th = s or w
i comes from 5th = i
d comes from 7th = g
e comes from 2nd or 6th = n or n

word = sign

2nd set of words:
t comes from 3rd = s
h comes from 1st and 5th = i and i
i comes from 2nd = n
s comes from 7th = g

answer = sing

My children would have produced the answer sign as I teach them only to look at the 1st set of words most of the time. They only look at the second set if:

1] 2 words are produced from the 1st set and both words are on the answer sheet. e.g. CAT and RAT they would then only look at the 1st letter of the second set as they only need to know whether its C or R

2] If its a pattern e.g. vest [west] lost [most] book [?] They need to look at the second set to see how the pattern is produced. In this case the last 3 letters remain the same , the 1st letter goes up 1 in the alphabet, answer is cook.

Patricia
Pushkin

Re: Level 4 Paper 1 15 minute test

Post by Pushkin »

Thank you Patricia.
Pushkin
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now