Standard vs multiple choice NFER questions

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guest_dad

Standard vs multiple choice NFER questions

Post by guest_dad »

Hi All,

Some multiple choice NFER questions seem to be unsuitable or too difficult for the standard version test. I presume there are differences between the question types and difficulty levels in the standard and multiple choice NFER exams. Does anybody have any information about these differences?
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think that they are supposed to be the same level of difficulty. Generally there is more time given in real 11 plus NFER tests for multiple choice than for standard to allow for "transferring" from the question to the answer sheet.

I would say that some types of questions are rather more difficult on standard type tests - our particular bugbear were the Type S (on IPS typing) where you have to find a word which fits equally well with each of two pairs of words - not too bad at all when you have a list to choose from but a real challenge to manage quickly without. Also for some types of question it is possible, with practice, to quickly eliminate some of the multiple choice answers which you have to work through to the end with standard format.

Have not really tried to compare the 2 formats systematically but my impression is that on the NFER published tests the difficulty is much the same.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now