Keep calm and carry on...

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

Keep calm and carry on...

Post by Marylou »

Reckon DS left his brain and/or reasoning capacity on the luggage carousel. :( A couple of weeks in the sun and his ability to do relatively simple VR work has plummeted! We took work with us with every intention of doing some but were just too busy and it was too hot - anyway, hopefully he will have time to get back to where he was. He's under strict instructions to report to me at 10 am every day from now on, even if only to do a quick practice test or revise a technique. :twisted:
Marylou
patricia

Re: Keep calm and carry on...

Post by patricia »

Dear Marylou

I tend to "encourage" holidays towards the start of the summer vacation for this very reason. Its like riding a bike, they never forget but it a takes a while to get back to tip top performance.

My children do take work with them, but its not much. I will give them a couple of tests but not to be completed in the usual manner. Before breakfast they sit down and complete, under timed conditions 2 sections. At the most would take them 8/10 minutes some days 2/3 minutes. It has to be timed to keep up the speed and concentration levels. I also encourage parents to use "better" words in their conversations during the day, together with a word of the day which can be done anytime, anywhere...

10 minutes at 10 sounds good to me, plus 1 test a week.

We only have about 7 weeks left...

Patricia
Marylou

Re: Keep calm and carry on...

Post by Marylou »

patricia wrote:
We only have about 7 weeks left...
:shock: :shock: :shock: Gulp!

:lol:

Seriously, though - it's probably a good thing we took our holiday earlier for the reasons you mention. When DD did the tests three years ago we holidayed later in August and she did actually do some work most days, not needing as much encouragement as DS!

Oh well, onwards and upwards... 8)
Marylou