GL assessment Pack 2

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gmw.pts

Re: GL assessment Pack 2

Post by gmw.pts »

Reply received from GL Assessment when I asked for an explanation of their logic:

C cannot be true.

We are told that Anna, Freddie and Chloe all had even scores, which means Jess and Finn must have odd scores.

As the winner scored 6, an even number, then the winner cannot be either Jess or Finn.

This means that winner is one of either Anna, Freddie, or Chloe.

However, it cannot be Chloe, as we are told that Jess scored more than Chloe.

This means that either Anna or Freddie rolled the winning score.

As we can say that Chloe did not score the same as one of either Anna or Freddie, or the same as Jess and Finn (who both had odd scores), then it is impossible for 3 people to have the same score.
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Interesting to read about all these errors - I just found errors in Athey Pack 1 paper 6 (Q50 and Q54). I am wondering about asking for my money back!

But on a more serious note, is it likely that real papers that the schools set will have errors? I remember that there's an error in the DAO sample maths paper. I suspect that the staff, in general, won't have the time or inclination to check in advance.

Thus we're left with impressing on our children that if they can't get the answer quickly, to move on. I suppose it's a good lesson to learn in life (if at first you don't succeed, give up) but not a good way to learn it!!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

glostutor wrote:Reply received from GL Assessment when I asked for an explanation of their logic:

C cannot be true.

We are told that Anna, Freddie and Chloe all had even scores, which means Jess and Finn must have odd scores.

As the winner scored 6, an even number, then the winner cannot be either Jess or Finn.

As we can say that Chloe did not score the same as one of either Anna or Freddie, or the same as Jess and Finn (who both had odd scores), then it is impossible for 3 people to have the same score.
How interesting that the GL version feels the need to continue the logic further (the section in italics) when the answer is surely already clear from the statement: "the winner scored 6". That surely indicates that there was a single, outright winner and therefore the later steps in their method are unnecessary. If the question had stated "the winning score was 6" it would have been a different matter and the steps ruling out Chloe scoring 6 would still be required to get the answer.

Barnetdad, GL Assessment papers are extensively trialled before use and there has never been a report of errors on their real papers. I can only remember one occasion on the forum when there has been a report of an error on a real paper anywhere.
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

Hi help please on GL Pack 2 test 7 question 45:

Number Series: 10 11 11 10 8

Now that I've seen the answer yes I could see why it could be 5 (following number line pattern). Initially, I took it as odd- even group where :

10, (-1) 11, (-3) 8 ; and
11, (-1) 10 ,(-3) which will give 7 as answer (and is one of the choices)

If I worked on this line I would definitely be getting the pattern :
10, (-1) 11, (-3) 8, (-1) 7
11, (-1) 10, (-3) 7, (-1) 6

10 11 11 10 8 7 7 6 and it does still look right.

Can someone help me pleae with a tip so that dear DS1 will not fall on the trap that I fell into as well. Both 5 and 7s were choices. But answer sheet says it is definitely a 5.

Thanks!
StaccatoMum
Storm

Post by Storm »

My DS looked at this and straight away said that the sequence was too short for it to be an alternate numbers sequence. So assumed that it was just one sequence and just looked at how to get from one number to the next,

10 (+1) 11 (+0) 11 (-1) 10 (-2) 8 so next number must be (-3) 5 :D
Orson

Post by Orson »

Storm is right.

StaccatoMum, you state the following:
10, (-1) 11, (-3) 8 ; and...
11, (-1) 10 ,(-3) which will give 7 as answer (and is one of the choices)

In my opinion there are a couple of things wrong with this:

1) You can't deduce the next numbers based on looking at alternate sequences. There are too few numbers. Why would -1, -3 logically be followed by -1?
And 11 to 10 (-1) gives no indication whatsoever of what should follow.
2) Crucially, 10 to 11 is +1 not -1

You have no choice but to look at it as a single sequence.
The changes are +1, 0, -1, -2. These decrease by 1 each time so the next change has to be -3.
8 - 3 = 5
StacatoMum

Post by StacatoMum »

Thanks Orson and Storm,

Your inputs have helped alot to clear this. Somehow my mind just really got conditioned on looking at things in an alternate way and sees things in a more convoluted way. You guys are right, it's too short to make a pattern moreover an intricate one.

Cheers!
StacatoMum
Saffron

Post by Saffron »

glostutor wrote:Reply received from GL Assessment when I asked for an explanation of their logic:

C cannot be true.

I was glad to find the discussion on this question as it had been driving me nuts all morning. However we thought that there were 2 statements that could not be true. So in addition to statement C, we thought that statement D 'Jess scored more than Freddie' was also incorrect. Our reasoning was that Jess cannot score more than both Chloe (this is stated in the question) and Freddie. From statement E, Freddie and Chloe together scored 10, so their scores are 4 + 6. From the details in the question 'Jess scored more than Chloe', we assume that Freddie has the score of 6 - so how then can Jess score more than Freddie too?

Does that make any sense?!
Saffron
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now