Last Supper!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wish Upon A Star

Last Supper!

Post by Wish Upon A Star »

Dear James,

Good idea about the swimming this evening.

My son has just told me that his teacher has advised them all to have a square of chocolate in the play-ground prior to going into the hall to sit their exam tomorrow...sugar rush energy-burst idea I presume! He's chuffed to bits...confectionery of any kind is normally not allowed in school! How such a little thing can help take their mind off their nerves is amamzing. That's chidren for you!

Hope your daughter sails through part 1 & part 2 of her exams. What a system you have to go through. Much worse than ours I think!

Good luck to her once again.

Kind regards,
W U A S :D
HP sauce

Is your son's teacher a wizard?

Post by HP sauce »

Dear WUAS,

Did not Harry Potter get a piece of chocolate from Professor Whatsit-Lupin to ward off some dementors on the train journey? Is there a connection between 11 plus and dementing/dementure? I think we should be told ....

Enjoy your swim and best of luck tomorrow to your son.

HP Sauce

P.S. Fingers crossed for all the regulars on this website whose children are taking exams this year.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Wish Upon a Star

In Bucks the test is taken at about 9.30 in the morning, as most children have taken breakfast between 7 and 8 - their blood sugar levels are starting to drop [ not good for concentrating ] I therefore advise all my children to have a banana on the way to school.

This will sound crazy, however, I subscribe to a magazine called Focus [science, history,technology etc] and some years ago there was an article about the effects of pasta. It was suggested that pasta is good for physical energy but in 'some' people it had a reverse effect for mental energy. Therefore [right or wrong] I tell all my parents to 'bin' pasta in the last 4 weeks leading up to the test.

One of my tutored children's brother was a little hyper. as his sister wasn't 'allowed pasta he too had to go without [ just about lived on it] Mum tells me that he actually started to concentrate at school!! Now whether it was because of the non pasta or that he started having different healthy food, we will never know. She decided to limit his intake thereafter.

Patricia
SJ

Pasta

Post by SJ »

Interesting because my son loves Pasta and when he was walking the Macmillan Way and climbing the 3 peaks in 24hrs we basically let him have as much Pasta as he liked and we have never discouraged it, but I think that we will have a test trial with regard to concentration/mental energy over the next few weeks and see if it has an effect. It certainly can't do any harm
SJ

SJ

Post by SJ »

Having just spoken to my husband he says that when they were having this high carbohydrate diet because of the necessity for the physical energy for the Macmillan Way/ 3peaks in 24hrs, you do loose your concentration and felt a little "punch drunk" at the top of the mountain for example, but always put this down to the physical exertion, but maybe this had something to do with it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now